Right boat: shallow saltwater

I'm purchasing a boat for a salt water - it will be docked at a fairly shallow dock: 2' at low tide, 5' at high tide, have to run 15' at this depth before bay opens up).

I grew up on a fresh water lake - my dream boat would be ~22' used for tow (slalom, wakeboarding, surfing), and also getting around the bay. Wake surf boats have a draw of 28"; some outbouards are as low as 12" but have a hard wake and no surfing.

Some questions for the forum:

-Would an outboard work for tow (slalom)? If so, suggestions on what to get that won't kick up too hard of a wake?

-Does anyone have experience dredging (use a Jetski or boat engine to blast sand at bottom)? Bad idea?

-Given the situation - suggestions on what boat or types of boat are best?

Help is greatly appreciated!

Stu

• Baller

Lots of solid outboard ski boats available, usually better wakes than traditional inboard tugs.

Sell the surf boards, it isn’t going to happen.

Can’t really move much sand (if any) with a jet ski...it’s that whole “action, opposite reaction” thing going on.

• Baller

2' is plenty to get a direct drive ski boat in and out as long as its a clean 2' not 2' with big rocks and stumps. You'll just need to be mindful not to have weight in the stern while in that shallow and to get out into deeper water when you go to hit the throttle so the prop doesn't drop. You could still possibly surf the DD ski boat with enough ballast particularly if one of the larger cross overs.

Outboard is going to do better for you in salt all around (no surfing though)

• Baller
My ‘17 Prostar seems to be ok whenour lake is low and its only 2’ at the dock. But not sure how accurate my depth guage is. Finding one with closed cooling might be a challenge. I heard it’s possible to surf with the rigjht set up.

• Baller

Hi Surfing is going to be the challenge. The only one I can think of to give all 3 would be a Malibu Response with a Wedge. Draw is way under 2, but with wedge down you can surf. The only other thing would be to convert it to a closed cooling system to handle the salt. Hope that helps

• Baller

Malibu's deteriorate fast in salt. Mine everything rusted out in 3 years. Going on 4 years now with my Nautique. Night and day better. Get a lift to keep it out of the water unless you are going to trailer it.

I have a routine down that seems to work well staving off the rust as best as possible.