Tough steering issue

MNshortliner

• Baller

So last fall when I pulled the boat out to winterize it, I greased the rudder and when I did barley any grease went in there. Afterwards I checked the steering, it seemed to be a little tougher to turn the wheel but I thought I will take a look at it next spring.

Fast forward to this season and the steering was getting tighter and tighter over the last few weeks so I ordered a new cable. When I went to change out the old with the new cable I disconnected the rudder and it was hard to turn the rudder by hand, I had to use some force to do it. No more grease would go in so I took out the grease zerk thinking it might be rusted/corroded shut. When I took it off some grease came out of the hole, about as much as the size of a small pea. It instantly turned easier so I started working it and spinning it around and some more grease came out. After working it for a little while it now spins like it should and I hooked the steering cable back up and it is now smooth as butter again. For reference it is a 2012 Malibu RCB.

It is almost like the grease was under pressure and did not ooze out the top by the plastic bushing or down to the bottom of the rudder shaft. The rudder doesn’t have much play in it like all the other boats I have had / worked on.

• Baller
I noticed this on my '01 Response this spring also. The steering was never tough, but it wasn't free wheeling either. I pulled out the rudder to replace the strut bushing and since I had it out, gave the rudder shaft and the bore of the rudder housing a good cleaning. I re-greased the shaft and bore by hand when I reassembled so it was not under any pressure. Huge difference in how easy the wheel turns now. So much so, that I had to grind the rudder a little bit to put some resistance back in there while underway.

• Baller

Careful when greasing the Malibu rudder shafts!

Pushing too much grease into the zerk can blow the little rubber O-Rings and make the steering very tight.

@MNshortliner probably time to drop the rudder and sort things out. ?