Is ski binding divided by skill level like ski device?

wonwoolee

• Members

I currently ride a 49@18.25 and wear radar boots and animal slippers.

When is it faster to change to a hardshell ski-up?

When I searched for materials, it seems that when I was a beginner, I used to ride with rubber, boots,when I will pro, I will use to hard shell.

Is the binding as distinguishable as a buisla rum like a ski?

Beginner: 46-49km

Intermediate level: about 55@16-14

For players: 55@14 and above

It seems that water skis are made by the manufacturer according to their skill level.

To what extent can binding be classified by skill?

• Administrators
@wonwoolee it is a hard question. Low end bindings are less expensive. Generally there is no down side to high end bindings provided they are safe and comfortable.

• Baller

@wonwoolee I think the biggest concern I would have with a beginner in a hardshell is making sure it's properly setup to ensure avoiding an injury. It also adds an extra level of complexity. Sometimes simpler is better.

I don't know if a world record for men has ever been set on a hardshell so by no means does it automatically equate to performance. Plenty have skied well in traditional boots and a RTP.

Based on my thoughts above I would say that bindings are not classified by skill assuming your taking the top binding from each manufacturer and not comparing an adjustable binding to a reflex.

Hope that helps.

• Baller

@keithh2oskier Regina has set all her slalom records in double hardshell Goode boots, as far as I know. I totally agree with your assertion that the setup does add a layer of complexity that a beginner may not understand.

@wonwoolee it is most important that the skier understands how their bindings works. If you are knowledgeable about your binding setup, whether it is a hardshell or soft boots, it will be safer.

• Administrators

@keithh2oskier is 100% correct. There is some knowledge that only comes from experience. Hardshells without knowledge is dangerous. I have seen it first hand many times. It is funny until someone gets hurt.

If someone wise walks you through it hardshells are fine at any level.

• Members

@Horton @keithh2oskier @aupatking

Thank you. What does hardshell mean?

Does it mean that if the speed is low, it may not come off?

A question about ski binding.

If you want to ride by classifying bindings by ski skill.

I wonder when and at what time to ride.

For example.

Rubber up to 52km

Boots from 55km

Hardshell from 58km or 55km @ 14m

I would appreciate it if you could tell me this specifically

• Baller
All types of bindings are used at all the skill levels. Nate Smith, The world record holder, uses rubber bindings. There are a lot of pros that use the boots as you refer and a great deal that use the hardshells. Speed and or skill does not matter as to which one. It is what works for you. Now there are better versions of the rubber (i.e. the D3Tfactors and others). The biggest thing with the hardshells as @Horton was saying is to make sure you have them properly set up for you (if possible by someone in the know). If you don't this is where injuries occur.

• Baller

You can also "classify" the types of bindings you listed by event: "rubber" is for jumpers (Wiley's trick wraps specifically); hardshell is for tricks; and Double Radar Vapors/Vectors are for slalom. I could see really liking the hardshell for slalom, but the Vapors are so comfortable and convenient that I personally would not trade them for anything.

My boy is a pretty new skier and uses a Syndicate hardshell on his trick ski and a Radar Vector on his slalom. If he wanted to I'd put the Syndicate on his slalom in a heart beat, but he likes the Vector front boot for slalom and it is comfortable and convenient.

My non-professional advice is get a binding system that fits, is comfortable, and that you feel safe in and don't worry about "leveling up." If you try a hard shell system and like it now, great, get it now. But don't worry too much about what you "should" be using. Pros and great amateurs use lots of different binding set ups with good results.

The bottom line is bindings are mostly just personal preference.