Ski Clinic/Lessons

New to skiing. The goal was to use Miclintocks to get some lessons before I find all the bad habits. Then the boarder shut down...

1. I'm located in Western New York.. Does any one know of any good teachers in the NY,PA,OH area?

2. thoughts on video coaching

• Baller
I did a Terry Winter session recently, the hard thing about video coaching is you are missing that real time observation of what you THINK you are doing vs what you ARE doing. The upside is it is very detailed and allows you to work on things at your pace rather than trying to fix stuff before the blisters fall off. Big fan of Terry, but just realize it is different...not better, not worse...different.

• Baller

I suggest that you look for and reach out to the ski club/tournament contacts in your area on the AWSA East website. Good chance someone in that group will be able to steer you.

https://www.awsaeast.org/ is a good place to look.

Not sure about Ohio, those club sites would be listed in the Midwest AWSA waterski website or on the tournament listing.

http://www.usawaterski.org/rankings/View-TournamentsHQ.asp?rid=230663478374

I also second joining the Train With Terry Winter website.

I can't comment on your first question but can on video coaching.

While in person is always good, it often tends to be intermittent (a ski school here and there), and from a different set of eyes. Unless you're lucky enough to have access to a consistent coach in the boat. I would never turn it down. But it's just hard to get the consistency required to really make tangible improvement.

I've been sending Terry Winter video for the past 3 years and have gone from just starting skiing as a 38 year old, unable to run 30mph, 15off, to getting into 34mph, 35 off (yes I know, still quite a modest line length). So much of the progress I attribute to having a pro - that knows my strengths and weaknesses & what I'm working on - and turning that into constructive, actionable feedback I can practice and come back to him with. As such, I think having a consistent voice is good. Rather than 8 different coaches telling me different things (all very good things I'm sure, but consistency and a knowledge of what I've tried, what's worked, what hasn't, is great). In addition to maintaining a history with a video coach, what I like about video coaching is that it's highly visual. You can see your style, often side by side with a pros. You can watch it over and over. Added bonus is that I've gotten so many tips and video from him now that its getting to the point where I can watch my own passes (I record most all of them) and self diagnose the simple stuff myself. And get the much more nuanced feedback from him. Anyways. enough of the plug for video coaching but I can't say enough good things about how much it's helped my skiing.

• Baller_
You have a fabulous option right here in the Eastern Region. Get a couple buddies and road trip to Peace, Love and Waterskiing in Bumpass Va. Corey and Amelia Vaughn are wonderful hosts, they have a beautiful site with new on-site accommodations and Corey is a superb coach.

Lpskier

• Baller
We camped next to Corey Vaughn at the Hilltop Pro Am; I was really impressed with how kind and encouraging he was with all the junior skiers there and just how he conducted himself in general. I was thinking about pitching our lake gang to fly him in for a clinic.

• Baller

Jodi Fisher will be doing a couching/clinic tour late summer up the east coast. He is looking at some dates in the Connecticut and New York areas. You can email him for dates/locations, or maybe you can get a few friends together and have him come to your location...

Jodi@Jodisskiskool.com

• Baller
Corey Vaughn is a great coach and fun guy. Don’t hesitate to get coaching from him. You can then video yourself skiing back home and get continued coaching in between visits to his place. I’m going down there again in a couple weeks for two sets and can’t wait.

• Baller

We live in WNY and we make the trip down to Corey's a few times a year. As others have said he is a great coach, he and Amelia are great hosts with new on-site lodging...beautiful lake and setting... Well worth the trip...

Also 2nd Terry Winter's website and video coaching.

I am also looking forward to the border opening and getting over to McClintocks.

In WNY we don't have the opportunities of Florida lakes and coaching, but when you get hooked on skiing, you become resourceful and an 8 hour drive for world class coaching is no big deal...