Props to Johnson Propellors/OJ!!

bikesrus

• Baller

See what I did there?

But seriously, the public lakes in So Cal are getting empty and there I was Saturday crunching into something mid lake.

I just have to say the Eric and the Team at Johnson Propellers (aka OJ props) provided amazing customer service/great pricing and my shiny néw prop for my amazing 2019 Prostar arrived today.

Yay!

Hoping none of you need this shoutout soon, but just in case…..Thanks Johnson Propellors! You rock!

• Baller

I have only had to remove my prop twice in 27 years, for minor repairs. All I needed was a monkey wrench, pliers, and a rubber mallet to remove. Boat has been on the same lake all its life, so I know where the hazards are. Thinking of a prop upgrade. I have the 240 HP 351 PCM with the 1:1 trans. I primarily pull slalom, tricks, and barefoot. Any suggestions for an upgrade? Current prop is a 13x13 RH OJ Legend. 3 blade (stock)

• Baller
To my knowledge, as to metal fatigue, only for stainless props. Reports of several of those losing blades, some allegedly even through the hull. However, I see no reason why traditional nibral would suffer any performance decline from use.

• Baller
@dbutcher I don't know. A metallurgical engineer would have to answer that. I have seen pictures of broken driveshafts on surf boats. I have been told the CNC machined props are more accurate, and have less slippage verses a forged one. I have 2140 hours on my boat with no issues.

• Baller_
In my almost 30 years of skiing/being on the lake we never had a spare prop in our boats...until about 10 years ago. I was home from college with a few guys from the Basketball team and we were out in our 210 we had at the time...surfing normal, boat lurched, when I checked no prop...For our ski boats, never in the boat, but always on the dock we had 1-2 spares ready to go!

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
@GaryJanzig My boat originally had an OJ legend (still have as a spare), and now run a 3 blade Acme (forget the number offhand, but typical application for a 1:1 tranny). Same diameter on both, but the Acme beats the pants off the legend both on hole shot and top end (has significantly more blade area than the legend). I've had the legend on a few times while my Acme is in for repairs, and I lose ~4-5 mph of top end with the legend and it's a dog out of the hole. I think you'd be pretty happy with an upgrade to a CNC prop (either Acme or OJ), especially since you pull barefoot. Both Acme and OJ are very helpful with recommendations.

• Baller
@GaryJanzig Just crawled under the lift to see what the prop was. Boat is a 94 Hydrodyne Grand Sport, PCM 351W TBI w/Protec (~310hp). PCM model 40 1:1 tranny. Prop is an Acme 541 13x12 (1" shaft, LH rotation). I didn't look to see what the pitch on the original legend was, but can check if you want.

• Baller

+1. Very happy w OJ, on the 2nd boat now. Parts and service. They were helpful when I was trying to reduce -22 hump on the 94 Prostar. Ordered backup prop for different boat and found a T-shirt in the box! Had it on few days ago.

@GaryJanzig just call oj and tell them what you have and what you are doing. You will likely speak to Eric / owner. Get what he says and I’d be shocked if you are not happy. The cnc vs original prop will be nice upgrade.

• Baller

@dbutcher two separate questions really. Most of the prop failures that you see where a whole blade falls off are not just fatigue but a casting imperfection. I tend to think once a prop has served 5-10 years it is unlikely to fail in that way and will continue in good service.

If a new identical prop would be better than an old prop. Informal testing, but boat came with a OJ 13x13 legend prop with a few repair stamps on the hub and dings on the edges. Some vibration so I bought a new OJ legend and swapped them. New prop lowered RPM and raised speed. Neither all that meaningfully but about 50 RPM and about .5MPH on the PP. Reconditioned the prop locally and reinstalled the old prop. Speed stayed the same, RPM actually drifted a bit higher. I'm not sure but I suspect the reconditioned props are smoother but also probably lost a bit of diameter in the polishing and balancing steps, may actually be lighter. Might weigh them next time I take a prop off to compare but I think a properly repaired prop is as good as a new one even if its old. Side note, you'll see these stamps on the hub the repair shops punch into them. This one now has 4 sets of stamps around the hub from repair shops. The guy there said they try not to repair outboard or I/O props more than about 3 times, but will do nibral inboard props until something isn't repairable.

• Baller
My boat has an OJ legend 3 blade 13x13. I have the 240 HP engine with the 1:1 transmission, 1994 Ski Nautique. Any opinions on which prop would be better, OJ Force 4 blade 13x13, or the Acme 430 13x13 3 blade? Primarily pull slalom and trick, but some barefoot.

• Baller

@GaryJanzig

Your oj is likely pretty good.

Perhaps you mean Acme 540 13x12 or oj 4Force 13x13, as they are all about 100rpm/mph

A 13p acme is for a big block or hot or stroked sb, and runs more like a 14p Oj, federal, Michigan,

13p acme would lug a base 240 and be uninspiring.

the 4force you would not likely see same top mph, may loose one or two, but the propwash will be low and spread wide, markedly little roost in my experience.

If your setup is carbed, and if base 240 it likely is, id consider heads cam intake for more go.