Trick judges, what is this trick?

fu_man

• Baller
Can anyone identify the trick Cory does in this video at the 1:49 mark? He essentially hurdles the line. I don't think it is SLO because he did that prior (same direction) and I believe you have to have both feet on the ski rather than hurdling the line. Not sure if it could be WLB and SLF in quick succession, but there is no landing or pause between to distinguish the two.

• Baller
@dchristman He does SLO at 1:45 with both feet on the ski and seems to repeat it 2 tricks later by hurdling the line. Both turns were same direction. Were these 2 distinct tricks prior? Was there a rule change after neon pink shirts went out of style?

• Baller
That is a good question! I don't have any old trick tables with the ski lines in them. It would seem to be a repeat. Originally they were called body overs - maybe the one-footed version existed alongside the two-footed version with a different name for some period?

• Administrators
The one foot on the skis SLO must have been a separate trick. I don't know why that trick was retired because it's super cool. Carl Roberge did that same trick and it always sick. I remember trying it and getting nowhere near. I think my brother did it a couple times.

• Administrators

The most confusing thing about this thread is trying to figure out which one of you has any idea what you're talking about and which one of you is completely confused.

The last three tricks of that run are SLO, FLIP, SLO ( old style with only one foot on the ski)

• Baller

SL5F, B, WL5F, WL5B, F, B, W7BB, RW7BB, BB, W5F, B, RW5F, WO, SLO.

That's the complete run on the video (there were some different clips with different sequences so this discussion is confusing). I'm glad I didn't have to judge that in real time with just two views! Or worse, from shore with only one distant view!! Trick lists mattered back then.

The other shorter video clips do show a couple variations of SLO style of execution. There were a few years when SLO and (more commonly) SLBB were also done in a more traditional stepover style with a foot free of the ski. Eventually, a rule change mandated that only the "both feet on the ski" version scored to end those (very cool) variations of the ski lines.

About that time, I was doing a reverse WLF where the ski stepped over the rope. Fun trick but the powers that be at that time wanted no part of any free ski going over the rope. Rejected! Sigh.

All those free ski going over the line could be a class of trick that would be really fun and flashy!

Cory was an incredible skier.

Eric

• Baller
@Horton @eleeski I agree last 3 tricks: SLO both feet on ski, flip, SLO old school hurdle. But why would he do the same trick albeit two different ways? They must have been scored as different tricks at the time, right? I can't see see him doing it for repeat no credit.

• Baller

I judged the 2.25 run. Lots of runs in this video.

Agreed, SLO, BFL, SLO repeat on the 1.45 run end. That's how it would have scored in the day. Not sure if Cory was trying to show off the differences to create a new trick or kill the foot off SLO (which did eventually happen - they aren't legal today). Cool looking but not a scoring trick as presented. Out of time by design?

A double step could only happen on a 540 stepover. I've seen a few and they are incredible. Way underrated on points. As are a lot of the tricks Cory does in this clip.

Eric