04 196 hesitation when getting on plane. 330 hp.

Andre

• Baller

Ski partner's boat,i'm more at ease with my old MC.

I want to check fuel pressure.Quickly check under the doghouse this morning and saw the fuel module at the front driver side of the engine with a schraeder valve.Is it where i need to check or is there another one on fuel rail? Also,i remember something about a fuel -paper filter that used to cause problem on those PCM engine.

My memory is failing a bit,but remember the fuel system beeing special on those Nautiques ,like 2 fuel pumps or filters,can't remember exactly...

I think fuel pressure is the first thing to check.

Should i check on fuel module (not sure how to call it) or fuel rail? What should be fuel pressure for that engine?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_

I like threads like these.

Let's see, 18 year old boat, no real history of service or damage in the past.

Boat falls on its face during throttle up..

Where to start..

1 have a diacom scan performed.

2. If a code is apparent address it.

3. Check fuel pressure.

4. Inspect all electric grounds and make sure the battery posts are clean and tight.

5. Check fuel system. Anti siphon valve and check for grawdew on or in the pickup in tank. Guaranteed the boat has mostly run ethanol fuel

that has and will degrade the inner liner of the fuel

lines. Pull apart the low pressure pump check for grawdew on the screen. Is the fuel hose connected to the high pressure pump in the fcc compromised and sucking air . Has the inline filter been changed recently? Has the fcc filter been changed recently?

6. Are the ignition wires and spark plugs original?

7. Check and see if the dizzy cap fasteners are not degraded or cracked at the housing lugs.

8. ECS in good working condition?

The list goes on. If one has not the back ground one should pay a shop to perform these tests and tasks.

Good luck..

• Baller
Thanks all! I will get back this week with updates.I will change cap and rotor for sure as they're originals according to my friend and perform Jody's checklist also.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
@wawaskr Not trying to be difficult but I don't suppose it has occurred to you that maybe the reason you are only seeing 50 hours or so out of the cap and rotor might have something to do with the $15.99 price tag vs the OEM price of $71.43?

• Baller
So way back in the day there were a zillion six and 8 cylinder gm's around that ran that style cap, it was always a way better bet to spend the money on the gm cap, plenty of trucks towed in that had quit first time it got wet with a cheap aftermarket cap.

• Baller
@Billbert - no problem - I knew that would come up. The cap I replaced was a FACTORY PCM cap! So there you have it. The cap I got from amazon (because I could get it next day, and it had brass contacts) had the same markings, flow lines, etc. as the factory PCM cap! I am quite sure PCM/Crusader parts are also manufactured in China. I really dont care if you believe it or not, its just a data point, so enjoy!

• Baller

There was a bad batch of caps a couple years ago, even PCMs. The casing was allowing current to spread to other cylinders. Sometimes it was showing up right away, sometimes not. I did a long block swap on a 196 and it sounded like Normandy at first, until we figured it out.

Andre, might want to tell your friend that caps and rotors are "maintenance" items not "repair" items! I assume its an excalibur and I don't recall perfectly, but I think they should be replaced biannually or 200 hours. Nonetheless, he should do it more frequently than 17 years!