PCM 5.7 343 catanium leaking manifolds

LK_skier

• Baller

Hey guys. Seems like the manifolds on these engines are prone to cracking. Do they are crack at the same place? Ie at the o2 sensor?

This was previously repaired but obviously hasn’t held. I assume new manifolds is the only fix… do they tend to also crack internally so that water can get into the engine and kill it?

cyjhmrmqldmi.jpeg

We had the same issues. Our passenger side also cracked externally first at about 600 hours and then on drivers side at about 800 hours ait cracked internally We landed up with water in the engine which is obviously not good. We blew the cylinder head.

We had our drivers side one, cut open so they could weld internally and it seems to have lasted about 4 months thus far. There is no stock of these parts either.

Here is the video of it showing it leaking internally. See video here

• Baller

You aren't going to like the price of a replacement manifold, I can assure you of that. They all corrode from the inside out. I replaced 1 side on my 2012 MC with Ilmor 5.7. The part was $2800 for just the one manifold, not including adapter, o2 sensors, gasket, or labor.

• Baller

@LK_skier mine had a leak at that spot. The older manifolds had a plate welded on from inside for that O2 sensor. I jammed in JB Weld right around that area which has stopped the leak. The other manifold had already been replaced when I bought the boat and it appears to be a newer one where there's no plate, the sensor area is moulded in so it can't leak. Must have been a very common problem.

I had a pic of it on another thread somewhere..

• Baller_

@oldmanskier pictured above is a 5.7 cat manifold Those are the ones in question. Yes your manifolds hold the potential for failure.

Just got off the phone with a PCM individual. 5.7 cat manifolds are back ordered from last March.

They are still unsure as to when these will be available.

Like many items for the inboard or marine industry in general, replacement parts are coming down the supply chain very slow if at all.

• Baller
Someone mentioned that there may have been a design change in manifolds that hopefully eliminates this leak problem. If so, when, ie what model year would have the new design? I have a 2015 with 500 hours so I am wondering if I have leaking manifolds to look forward to. If one manifold costs $2,800 plus labor and miscellaneous other parts and both manifolds are likely to go, how much does a whole new engine cost? Are complete new engines available quicker than new manifolds?

• Baller

@dbutcher In general replacement engines don't come with manifolds.

$2800 seems crazy for one manifold - sounds like someone is getting scalped. The equivalent Indmar Cat manifold (ETXCat) are about $1200 a side. If you felt the need to pay someone to install them, the labor shouldn't be much in a DD since they are easily accessible.

• Baller_

Don't know if this helps. The previous owner of my 2004 ProStar had corrosion problems with the manifolds on an EFI MCX Indmar engine. He had both of them welded and then powder coated. that was several years ago. I don't recall if there were plugs or fitting at those repair sites. At the time he couldn't get a direct replacement and would have had to replace the heads if he went with an available manifold.

http://swbca.net/29dkfju/20.jpg

• Baller
@Andre - I previously had the 450 and 409 - no problems at all - never heard of any issues either. As soon as I searched about the 5.7's - the internet lit up with threads and similar problems. Can't believe PCM/nautique didn't replace all of these under warranty when they found the common issue appearing

• Baller

Jody Seal,

I asked in this post if my 2014 Carbon Pro Engine 2014 PCM 5.7 Catanium™ CES EX343 engine has the potential for cracking issue, and you responded it did. My boat currently has 485 hours but no cracking issues at this time.

Do you know all model years of PCM Cat engines that could have this defect?

The reason I ask is I am selling my boat and my ski club has approached me about buying my boat as the club boat. I wanted to be upfront about any possible issues known for 2014 PCM 5.7 Catanium™ CES EX343 engines and also know what all model years PCM 5.7 Catanium™ CES EX343 engines might have this cracking issue.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Tom Smothers (Oldmanskier) 

• Baller_
44 minutes ago, oldmanskier said:

Jody Seal,

I asked in this post if my 2014 Carbon Pro Engine 2014 PCM 5.7 Catanium™ CES EX343 engine has the potential for cracking issue, and you responded it did. My boat currently has 485 hours but no cracking issues at this time.

Do you know all model years of PCM Cat engines that could have this defect?

The reason I ask is I am selling my boat and my ski club has approached me about buying my boat as the club boat. I wanted to be upfront about any possible issues known for 2014 PCM 5.7 Catanium™ CES EX343 engines and also know what all model years PCM 5.7 Catanium™ CES EX343 engines might have this cracking issue.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Tom Smothers (Oldmanskier) 

Hey Tom,

I don't think that any numerical trace in conjunction with batch number can be performed. 350 hours 2500 hours is the failure window if they fail...Many more are running in the field then not.
I have seen casting's crack around the 02 sensors and have filled orders for manifolds that have cracked internally. mostly the small block chevy units.

Who's going to be the first to de-claw their towboat???

• Baller

Caveat, I haven't actually tried this with a boat. But in the automotive world, for situations like track racing, you can remove the Cats and use an O2 sensor "simulator" box for the after Cat O2 sensors to keep the ECM happy. I would think the same would work fine on a boat.

• Heterodox 1