My Boat Cover is Crap!

lpskier

• Baller_

My Nautique boat cover came with the boat. It is in very good condition, but water bleeds right through it. It can fill up with rain water covered and on the trailer in the driveway. What products do people use to convert this sieve into a waterproof cover? Thompson’s Water Seal? What?

And what do you use to fight humidity (and hence mold) when it is covered?

Lpskier

• Baller
Skip's covers are good, fit nice and, my personal choice is a waterline cover to protect the sides from the sun. However water penetrates mine. It's under a boat house roof, so no big deal. I just can't spray it off without water seeping through. It's getting old but the top is never exposed to the sun. Maybe a new one will shed water for a 2-3 years.

• Baller
@LeonL mine from Skip turned 3 years old this spring. Yes the sun was a factor, but it seemed as if it was drying out anyway. Try 2 32oz spray bottles of of 303 over the topsides. Will cost you around $50, but my boat is dry inside again for the past 6 months.

• Baller

@lpskier since my boat is stored on a lift and covered immediately after use, we exercise EXTREME care in avoiding any water getting in the boat. We ski back to the dock after sets and don't even put the rope in the boat until it dries as much as possible. (sling the water out and leave it on the dock while wiping down the boat) This may not be possible for you, based on your specific circumstances.

@ETskier my cover is 13 years old. Beginning to get holes in at the rear due to afternoon sun hitting it. As stated it's under a roof and stored inside for the off season. I won't be spending any money or time to waterproof it, as I've stopped trying to clean it.

• Baller_
@LeonL I have a boat lift but no roof over it, the choice being a lake view or a boathouse view from our house. And we ski out of the boat, so the carpet is constantly getting wet. Next boat will not have carpet but carpet is what I now have.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier How old is the boat cover? Yes totally agree,about the carpet. I love my SeaDek. In a Florida downpour the boat can be completely dry in a couple hours sitting in the sun. I don’t think skiers realize how nasty and disgusting carpet is until they have a boat without carpet.