Reflex SuperShell 7 - unboxing

Horton

• Baller

The only thing I see that is different on the SuperShell 7.0 than my SuperShell 6.0 is the power strap is a little higher and the clasp side of the buckles are longer and spring loaded.

The real question I have about Reflex SuperShell's is why can't I find a pro who skis on one? They all seem to be skiing the Classic (black) Slalom Hard Shell with no carbon U base.

There is a great BOS thread ( https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/19021/the-optimal-slalom-boot/p13 ) about modifications to make on hard shell boots make them ski better. In the thread @adamhcaldwell goes into great detail on what modifications he makes to get maximum performance and a great video of Andy Mapple explaining what modifications he made to his hard shell boots too. It's a interesting read IMO.

• Administrators

@ToddK After I made the above video I was told that the 2 updates for the Super Shell 7 is the power strap and all metal parts are now stainless. All stainless is awesome especially for skiers with salt or corrosive water.

• Baller
@Horton I'm guessing it's a stretch but is there chance you will do a review of the Syndicate vs. new Vapor vs. the SuperShell 7.0? I would love to know your thoughts on differences of lateral stiffness between the three and if you notice much of a difference in the Vapor having a flat foot surface and the other two having toe ramp from the ball of the foot forward.

• Baller

@aupatking - I have followed @adamhcaldwell ’s boot recipe to the letter - it is awesome…prior to this, I tried all sorts of work arounds to make the original supershell skiable. One of the mods was to add a power strap - just like on a snow ski boot and now the SS7…

From having a boot that I could ski on - the addition of the strap made the boot un-skiable..it created way too much leverage on my shin - which is great in a snow ski boot, not so much in waterskiing…

The new SS7 looks cool - but fundamentally still has the same basic flaws..the cuff is too high, the boot sole isn’t flat and the plastic is too ridgid..

The new radar boot, on the other hand, looks very interesting..flat sole, low cuff height, and both rigid & flexible where it needs to be…the only addition I would make is to have the ability to cant the cuff laterally to set it neutral against the lower leg…

I have made simple mods to many hardshells that have immeasurably improved their owners skiing..non of which effect safety…the biggest hurdle is taking the leap of faith and trusting that the mods will work - but that’s another issue..