HO Direct Connect... thoughts/review?

jhkiefer

Hello,

Just bought myself a syndicate alpha. Now I'm looking for a binding setup. Ideally looking for a laced boot in front and toe plate in the rear. I assume some of you have used HO's direct connect, what are your opinions?

Thanks!

• Baller

I've recently switched from a Xmax to a Syndicate Hardshell. Direct Connect is a solid boot, if you are looking for a laced boot. Key understanding is that the hardshell will allow you to feel more connection to the ski, more to the effect of the sole plate being thinner (less marshmallowy). The next thing to understand is that releasability is more to being consistent on the tension applied to the top laces. Granted everything that I mentioned is not related to direct connect, but rather to the characteristics of the binding itself. In all, I don't see negatives with direct connect, but rather the binding type you prefer.

Thanks @DonT .

Honestly speaking, I'm a pretty experienced freeskier who's just now starting to get into course skiing. I really prefer the comfort and secureness of a laced binding compared to rubber, however the release characteristics concern me. I've looked into hardshells (which seem like the perfect median) but can't seem to justify one due to their price, and truthfully, I don't think I'm skilled enough to deserve one... yet :D

Thanks for your input though, will probably end up finding a set of direct connects and try them out.

• Baller
If a laced binding is what you’re aiming for, I’d recommend the Radar Vector BOA’s. Having had both, I found the BOA gives you the ability to lock in your foot a bit more securely than the HO lace system, while giving you the ability to stay loose on top so you (should) come out in the event of an OTF. I see that the 2022 HO boots offer a similar system to the BOA and assume performance characteristics are similar. If you go w the Vector’s you will need aluminum plates for HO compatibility. PM me if you have any interest in the Vectors. I have a very lightly used pair I bought this past June, but will be moving on to another binding system next season.

@Skiphreak I recently joined my school's collegiate team and their setup is a syndicate A1 with vector (non-boa) bindings. I do really like the vectors. I believe I had one OTF this season and did in fact slip out of both feet. Honestly it will probably just come down to whatever the cheaper option is that still makes sense for what I want. I'll go ahead and PM you about tho vectors, or if anyone has a hardshell they'd let go for cheap...let me know

• Baller

@jhkiefer as I've heard a few years that came out, they had some skis that came out with both of the formats, regular bushings and the Direct Connect bushings.

As I have seen the only ski that will be direct connect only for 2021 might be the hovercraft, and even that ski sounds like it will get the full bushings.

But I suspect they will not be selling direct connect bindings in a few years.

• Baller
I had direct contact on a Carbon Omni and honestly am not a fan. I’ll send a message with more info. Also, I like the Radar Vector fit more than the HO option because I have a thinner foot and the HO let’s my foot move around more. I liked my Omni and just got an Omega Max so I have nothing against HO or most other companies but wouldn’t go with the direct connect option.

• Baller

Direct Connect is phasing out for 2023. There are multiple reasons for this, but the primary reason is due to easier inventory forecasting. Currently the only ski in the product line that doesn't have standard plate inserts is the Hovercraft.

@jhkiefer Regarding your earlier comment on Hardshells... They are not just for hardcore shortline buoy chasers. B)

Yes, they cost more upfront, but they are field serviceable with replacement parts and generally should last much longer than a textile/laced boot.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
If you have an HO and are not using the Syndicate hardshell, I don't see why you wouldn't go direct connect. I have a hardshell on my front but a direct connect on my rear. I've been using it for about five years. I love the setup and it works great. On my other HO skis for my family I am totally direct connect. It is easy to mount and set up your bindings, looks nice and clean, no loss of the flex of the ski, just a nice and clean setup.