Hard shell binding moves/results

nate93

• Baller

I searched for the same info years ago when I returned from a severely broken leg/ankle with few results.

The end result for me was that my front foot no longer naturally points straight ahead which now requires that I mount my binding rotated slightly and slightly offset from center. It varies from ski to ski but I simply adjust it as required so that the ski tracks straight ahead when I stand naturally relaxed with 100% weight on my front foot directly behind the boat.. This allows me to have fairly even turns on both sides which I do not get if I have the binding mounted centered and straight.

• Baller_

Generally speaking, back front rotation effects your on side turn, while front foot rotation effects your off side. Typically rear foot rotation involves moving your heel to the inside with a counter move with the toe. Some will say a 2 to 1 ratio between heel and toe. Front foot rotation can adjust for any irregularity in how your knee flexes over the ski, with the key being that you want the knee to flex forward over the center of the ski.

Front and rear rotation is primarily used to tighten (or if necessary, expand) the turn radius. Usually, the heel is rotated to the inside of the turn.

Generally, when setting up a ski, first get the right fore and aft position of your binders, then set the fin to the ideal settings for you, then fine tune with binding rotation.

@Horton hates binding rotation and will likely chime in to that effect. Personally, I’m a believer. But then again, the Earth is flat, right?

Lpskier

• Administrators

@lpskier I do not hate binding rotation - I think it is a boondoggle for most skiers. There are a few noteworthy pros over the years who have oved their bindings in all directions but the vast majority of the best skiers in the world run their front binding straight and in the middle of the ski.

I strongly suggest that before a skier moves their bindings side to side or some sort of rotation that they listen to this podcast by Trent and Rossi https://anchor.fm/spraymakers/episodes/Setup-for-Success-e19bj55