New Trick Ski Questions

sleepymcdoze

• Baller

I'm looking to purchase a Quantum Dynamic. I’m 5’9” and fluctuate between 170-180lbs. I currently have a 43” D3 trick ski I purchased in 2004. I took a 10 year hiatus from trick skiing until this past summer. My 2 trick runs add up to around 1,800pts. Next summer I’m hoping to start learning inverts. I don’t think I’ll ever do toe tricks.

Have trick skis really improved enough since 2004 to where I will notice a difference?

I’ve read that people are trending toward a longer ski for more stability. Would there be any downside to going to a 44” rather than a 43”, especially for inverts?

• Baller
I would say if your goal is to learn flips, 1 inch longer and hard edge ski like a Quantum are good considerations. Plus, a bit of a longer ski lets you go down with speed, which is always a good strategy to learn flips (or other tricks).

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller_
@sleepymcdoze my son is 5'10" and 170lbs. We moved him from a 43 to 44" and it made his flips and ski lines much more consistent and no drawbacks. The bigger ski allows more margin for mistakes and is generally more stable. The 44" Quantum is an excellent choice for you.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding