Appreciate some advices on bindings

jmaines

hey everyone, new on this forum and also in the waterski community. Last year I decided to try waterski again after being away from this sport for more than 25 years and gosh it feels so good to be back even if I feel like a beginner :-). As you can imagine after this very long absence the material really improved and I'm a bit lost with what to choose. I bought a radar ski (union) and I would like to purchase some bindings now. I would prefer to go with a laced boots for now and as I'm a quite tall guy I also have nice feet so not much choice but interested by the HO sports either 2021 or 2022 - 110 or 130 stance as they fit up to 15 but now I have no idea the difference and what I should choose between "direct connect" or "with a plate". Can someone explain me a bit more please ? The ski is made in carbon so not sure if it is better to buy one or the other. Thanks in advance for your help and looking forward to hear from you.

Take care and can't wait for start of next season.

Brgds

John

• Baller

In my opinion you can’t go wrong with the Radar Vector boots.

Laced open toe bindings and they come in a variety of rear boot options RTP (kicker), HRT (half-boot) or you go the double boot route.

They are great for beginners but also good enough to run the course at shorter line lengths which might be your goal sooner than you think.

• Baller
@jmaines Stance 130 has a slightly taller cuff height than the 110. Due to its lower cuff height, Stance 110 is more targeted toward the recreational skier. Either way, you will need a plated boot to work with your Radar Union.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

@savaiusini Thanks a lot for your reply which is much appreciated and for my own knowledge may I ask you why I will need a plated boot for my Radar Union ? What is the difference between direct connect and plated boot ? Thanks and have a good one

• Baller
@jmaines Direct Connect is a feature only found on HO skis made between 2015-2022. No other brand has inserts for these boots. HO skis have inserts for standard plates as well as our proprietary Direct Connect system.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller_
@savaiusini Why is a binding for an intermediate skier designed with a lower cuff, or said differently, why are bindings for advanced skiers designed with taller cuffs? I know a number of very advanced skiers in hard shells that have modified their boots by cutting down the upper cuff of their binder, in many cases, significantly.

Lpskier

• Baller

Direct Connect = proprietary binding mounting method, only works for the same manufacturer's skis.

Plate mounted bindings = more universal, due to standard locations for mounting bolts which match the insert locations on most skis.

Taller cuff = stiffer connection. The stiffer the binding or the taller the cuff, the more the skier's motions will be transferred to the ski and cause the ski to react. This can be ideal for an advanced skier who's movements are very controlled and intentional. This can be detrimental for a beginner who's movements may be uncontrolled or unintentional. Typically, a "more forgiving" situation is desirable for beginners. A less responsive ski/binding setup is considered more forgiving.

• Baller

@lpskier Great question but a complicated one to answer. It’s totally a matter of preference. As a general statement, I would say most open toe textile/lace entry boots are targeted toward the crossover/freeskier. Not to say they can’t be used at any level, but you just don’t really see many high-level skiers using them. You see mostly hardshell and rubber boots. However, I would caution against making direct comparisons between a cut down hardshell and a lower cuff textile boot because the retention and release mechanisms are completely different. Cuff height on a textile boot is more about how much material you have to displace in order to get an appropriate amount of response from a given amount of input. Hardshell boots have a hinge point on the cuff so being able to move over the front of the ski is already easier. Modification here becomes a very personal decision and a bit of a rabbit hole in the sense that it’s hard to go back once you’ve made changes.

There are no rules. Everyone has differences in how they move on their ski. My only recommendation is to consider investing in some coaching and to buy the boots that feel the best and that you think will perform best for you. If these nuances are important to you, it is always a good idea to work with a shop that has a broad selection and can let you try several boots on to help you zero in on what’s going to be best for you. Hope this helps!!