2015 Prostar Swim Platform Question

kirkbauer

• Baller

Can be replaced.

Teak is classic needs some upkeep and can easily be sanded and rubbed out to keep up its appearance but needs upkeep.

Fiberglass the foam will delaminate, bumps/hits/chips will show up and require it to be sanded and gel coated to repair, not classic, low maintenance, but can look crappy if not well cared for.

• Baller

Like @LoopSki said - mostly matter of preference.

I’m an old school guy with most of the things, but prefer fiberglass platforms over the teak option.

I don’t think the fiberglass is as bad as @BraceMaker describes it.

In fact it is easier to maintain and won’t scratch your ski when you put it on on the platform. At some point you might need to replace the padding because it will show some wear but that’s an easy task.

BTW - Owned two boats with teak platform and now my 2nd one with the fiberglass swim step. Won’t go back to wood. Ever.

• Baller
Go with the boat you prefer the platform can be changed. I like the fiberglass + seadek platforms on the newer boats but obviously there are a lot of OLD ballers that still want teak on the back of their boat. Makes no sense to me but to each their own. (I think MC may be the only maker that still offers the choice?)

• Baller
Love the fiberglass platform but the cushioning product, whatever it’s called (not seadeck) tends to lift and curl a bit near the edges within a year or 2 making it look worn out and tired. The shop I deal with charges 4 hours to re and re the cushioning product. That’s $600 CDN/$480 USD labor plus parts. Yikes. Teak can be more easily maintained by the average garage monkey at a lower cost. If you can do the labor to replace the fiberglass cushion pad yourself then whatever but there definitely is a difference in maintenance costs depending on your skill level.