1978 Pro Am

Marty1

Has anyone ever heard of a Pro Am? It was advertised locally in Vancouver BC as a Mastercraft but when I went to see it…it just had subtle differences. Like the front deck vent is different. The boat has no Mastercraft badging, it looks like the same hull…same dash & gauges…351 engine but the engine doghouse is upholstered plywood. It’s definitely original & there are a couple of stickers indicating it’s a Pro Am. So I bought it & am just restoring the interior. The fellow was convinced it was a rare Mastercraft Pro Am used for some event.

I combed the Internet & did find something somewhere indicating Pro Am ski boats were built in California but couldn’t find any pics?

So when I removed the upholstery from the wood frames one had written on it with a crayon “Pro Am”

Anyone have any info? an0txucegx97.jpeg

• Baller

Oh my god I’d absolutely love to see pics of it! I’d pay you to scan it for me.

When I was looking at the upholstery…I mean it sure doesn’t look like it’s ever been redone. Like the blue carpet had been painted black with spray paint :)

That said…it’s kinda ugly & it sure would suck having it reproduced only to find it’s not original!

If you can find it…greatly appreciated!

• Baller

So here’s one of the odd things I’m dealing with on this boat…

The doghouse…I’ve never seen one that didn’t hinge to the back. This one hinges to the RH side of the boat which as you can imagine…basically makes the RH side of the engine inaccessible.

Not only that but the box hits the exhaust manifolds as you open it. I’m planning to change it to the rear but if they honestly hinged that way I’ll leave it. There’s no holes on the rear for hinges but once again…the plywood box appears to be original.

Lots of questions & SkiRV is the only man with the answers :)

• Baller

• Baller
I have the Pro Am stripped inside. Floors & stringers are mint. The upholstery is done I just need to do the carpet & put it back together. I’ll post pics. The upholstery was challenging. The seats were plywood including the drivers seat but it was falling apart. I made new wood frames but the drivers seat I had to laminate from 1/8” mahogany & bend it. Lots of glue…tricky.

• Baller

Hi Guys, I finally got motivated & finished the carpet inside the 1978 Pro Am. It’s a little bright for my likings but that was the original colours so I left it the original scheme. Pretty happy with it.

Just about time to put it in the lake & give it a whirl :)

• Baller

Yes there’s an access panel in the floor from the doghouse all the way to the back. Just hard to see in that pic. I had the upholstery done by a friend in the Vancouver BC area named Dave Gallagher. He does high end cars for a fancy shop in North Vancouver called RX Auto. They do fancy $400k restorations of cars that go to pebble beach which is huge overkill for this little contraption but I’m fussy & when I go to most marine upholsterer…I find that the definition of a marine upholsterer is an upholsterer that’s not very good so he only does boats :)

You know I find that the most talented people don’t charge any more than the not so talented just that it takes time to do good work.

It was about $4k Canadian but labours not cheap these days as you guys know. I’m into the boat for $11k Canadian now & so I’m ok with that. Be a fun bomber :)

I guess that’s about $5k US ;)