George Athens

Marty1

Any of you guys ever see him ski? Boy…he was incredible. Used to ski here in BC when I was young & he was impressive to watch. I think his brothers name was Greg…both incredible.

It’s funny to see how far water skis have come & the new boots etc. These guys were doing it on old wooden skis! Lol. I remember watching them & I think they were using an old Maharaja :)

We thought we were pretty good but they were in a different league. f951bjv3syrd.jpeg

• Baller

He was National champion for like 10 years in a row & then World champ for a few. I think he had some kind of injury.

Every year I say I’m gonna get my ass back in shape & get back at it…this may be the year! :)

I was skiing a few years back & I think some shoulder exercises are in order :)

• Baller

George was my inspiration and ski hero way back in the day. Fast forward to 2019 and my daughter meets him at a book signing (The El ) and she tells him about her water ski crazy dad who always talked about him. Months later on my birthday not only did I get a personally signed book with a beautiful inscription but later that day a phone call from the man himself passing along birthday wishes and encouragement to keep up the skiing. (we talked for an hour)

A truly wonderful man with a great sense of humour and still an ambassador for the sport.

• Baller

Hurricane Hanna! Haven't heard that name in a while.

Got a wild hair and took off on my son's dirt bike to hit a few trails last weekend. Forgot how much fun that is! Unfortunately when I started shopping bikes online they are slightly more expensive than the early 80's....

• Baller

His name is George Athans (not Athens)... I'm actually on a call with him right now for Water Ski Canada HP :D

Certainly among the best overall skiers of all time, George was world overall champion twice. He currently chairs the HP Committee of Team Canada

zt4exmdca1jj.jpg

o92fx0wp5fk8.jpg

• Baller

Interesting factoid. His brother Greg was on the Canadian Freestyle Snow skiing team as well as the national waterskiing team. He podiumed numerous times on the FIS World Cup Circuit.

George, you sure did inspire a lot of young Canadians! Including me!