SN200 Steering Cable - Anything Special?

BlueSki

• Baller

Is there anything special about changing the steering cable on a SN 200, even if just some tips and tricks? The only time I changed a cable was on a ‘95, so fewer wires in the way, and that was 15 years ago.

I do know how to completely remove the floor and back pad and saw thager’s post about cable pulling fluid. Thanks in advance.

• Baller

Attach a rope to the rudder end, and cover the connection with duct tape to streamline it. Check out Ron Tanis' youtube channel. He shows you how to change out the cable. You won't need to change the clamp block unless you have play in the rudder. Another youtube channel Clu Engineer changes out a cable on a 1997-1999 Ski Nautique.

• Baller

Tie string or attach some cable to the rudder end so the you can pull it back through, you may find that it is cable tied in two places that you cannot get to easily under the floor, there is one awkward place under the floor, but if you get the angle right, it will go through quite easily , take note of the angle when you take the old one out.

Ideally it is a two man job, one to pull on the Cable/String and one to Feed the new one through.

With a bit of thought the manufacturer could of fitted plastic conduit for the cable to pass through to make replacing a steering cable, so easy.

• Baller

I changed out the whole steering system on my 1994 Ski Nautique after 2170 hours. I changed the helm, tilt, clamp block assembly, cable(upgraded to the 1998 and newer version), and repacked the rudder port. It was leaking, the steering wheel had some wiggle to it, and there was some play in the rudder. I was also detailing the boat at the same time. It took me a few weekends. I also installed a new GPS Speedometer. I ordered a red lightbuilb and installed it in the new speedometer to match my other guages. Trying to find a chrome ring/bezel for Perfect Pass to match.

w5zglpfw19tt.jpg

q4texl825x68.jpg

• Baller

kcq0kt31fuea.jpg

This is a shot of the end of the new cable being fed back through. To extend my reach under the floor(between the engine compartment, and the helm). to help feed it through I slid an 18 inch piece of metal conduit over the rope so I could guide the rudder end of the cable back through. There are a few spots it will get stuck. Once you get the rudder end of the cable into the engine compartment the rest is easy. I did not tug too hard. I was being extra careful to not break any wires or pull anything loose.

• Baller

After replacing the cable on my 200, I recommend removing the driver’s seat to avoid ending up in traction (glad I did that), hoping that you don’t have heater hoses adding to the congested path for the cable, and getting a teenager with good flexibility and reach to help. This was a tight fit.

nhnadowi4jeb.jpeg