Nice

What's the best setting for me?

65, 6'-3", 200 lbs

32 mph

Usually deep 32, sometimes deep 35

On a new Omega Max with animal rear

Thanks much

• Baller
@skiron07 the fundamental problem on reflex is that the heel release presses on the actual shell as opposed to a downhill ski boot where the release pushes on the rigid sole. Take the same binding and boot and have two different people try it, you'll get different release effort. Even try your boot with the forefoot strap unbuckled and it will release differently.

• Administrators
@BraceMaker to take it a step farther..... after years of use a shell will break down and need a different setting than a new one. Personally I like the feel of older shells but ANY time I switch shells I always reset the setting.

• Administrators

@Deanoski yeah I get it.

My point is that a setting that is too high may hurt you and a setting that is too low may hurt you. Set correctly the system should never pre release but will release when it should. It is not rocket surgery but it does require an understanding of how the system works.

• Baller

@Horton old shell is a good point.

With several systems probably MOB FM Exo and fogman you can modified the boots to be whatever you want for fit and flex with out changing the release characteristic. But for reflex my suggestion is to use microadjust buckles and mark the ladder buckles so you use the same one always. Then you can test the release every few rides and stay on top of it.

Prereleases suck but so do spiral fractured femurs.

• Baller
Tension comes from the tension screw, spring is under load at any time. Some skiers leave the boot on so not to develop a play between shell and plate. Others prefer to take the shell off so the ski takes less space, easier to dry the shell and the mechanical parts and in my case easier to put my foot in the shell and then clip it on the ski.

• Baller

cut and paste from what I said when this question was asked last year:

I always remove my boot and I highly recommend you do particularly if you have the carbon plate.

One of my ski partners always left hers attached and had a couple pre-release incidents last year. She replaced the spring and still had a problem. I had her let me take a look at it before this season started and we ended up replacing both her boot and the plate with a G10 plate. My theory is that both items had taken a set to them from being attached constantly. The front toe-bar was tight on the plate, but it was angled forward a few degrees. The toe of the boot was flattened out a bit. This combination was non-optimal. The release system is composed of more than just the release mechanism - you need to pay attention to all the parts!

If you've had a carbon plate for any length of time take it off the ski and look at it. I bet it's not perfectly flat anymore.

• Baller

Great- thanks much for the advice- it's kind of what I had expected. I don't have a carbon plate- just a standard HO syndicate hardshell but I would assume everything would apply equally to the release system. I'll take it out- no big deal and piece of mind