1998 Ski Nautique FS $5000 in NY (Not April fools but needs work)

VermontSkier

• Baller

Found on Facebook market place and was posted today. Owner said via PM that he bought it last summer and previous owner said it was winterized but he found two freeze plugs popped out. Needs interior. I wish I had the mechanical skills and resources to make this a great ski boat again!

https://facebook.com/marketplace/item/1321109255058505/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Ae55947e1-82d5-4a5d-a924-9ce2f7f254ca

• Baller

Thanks for the pointer to the boat for sale. It took a while for me to make it to NY to pick it up, but it's at it's new home now.

i-n2953BB-X2.jpg

i-zS6WKvC-L.jpg

If anyone recognizes the "The Guarino Bambino", I'd love to know more about the history of the boat. It was originally purchased in NJ, then spent a good part of it's life at a YMCA camp in NY. Now it's starting the next chapter of it's life in NC.

• Baller_
After seeing the name on the stern and the history, I keep envisioning the original owner saying: "Nice jet ski you got there. Be a shame if something were to happen to it."

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@VermontSkier the plan is for a complete restoration and re-power. I've been keeping my eye out for a boat in this condition for a while. One without a good engine but good bones for a restoration.

I'm not sure the restoration will start immediately since I have quite a few other projects in the works, but then again since this is my first week of retirement, it may get started sooner than I'm predicting.

• Baller
@jpwhit that is awesome, I hope you will keep us posted. It certainly deserves a thread on BoS! When I saw it I had dreams of restoring and repowering but as a 30 year old working full time and trying to ski as much as I can in my free time, I didn’t think it was feasible. Have fun!

• Baller
@jpwhit be sure to check out planetnautique and look at Jeff's restoration of his 98 from a few years back. He is based out of NC as well as myself. I'm pretty jealous of that find! Same colors as our 95 in the exact condition I would want in as well.

• Baller

i-vrHgLkr-X2.jpg

The interior is in really rough shape. But I guess I could follow the previous repair attempt of white duct tape.

Thanks @gcam4, I'll check that out. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to restore it to originality or do a restomod. I'm leaning towards modernizing everything. Glass cockpit for example.

• Baller

Glass panel…pilot? I don’t think u can get a set of Garmin flat screens in there!

With upholstery n carpet u will have a good start.

New steering cable and do the rudder packing that is key to butter steering.

Never liked all those fuses on the dash in my buddies ‘97. My 2000 had keypads which were nice but the digital speedos and hour meters were fails. I’d go a circa 2000 dash with touch pads and drop in some faria gauges and then have @thager show u a pic of his ZO install on his ‘03

• Baller
No question that it'll have zero off. In terms of engine, I'm leaning toward something rather unconventional. By glass panel, I mean I may put in an HV700 display similar to used in most current boats such as my 2019 ProStar.

• Baller

Assuming the restoration includes the exterior, if there were to be a vote, my vote would be to tape over a rectangle area with “the guarino bambino” and leave that as is.

Nice clean shiny gel everywhere else and leave that in the back. Just because…. You could always remove it later, but it’s almost too good to get rid of, in a weird way.

Agree we need a Resto thread. Especially if you go restomod on it.

• Baller

@jpwhit Jeff did a very nice restomod on his 98 with seadeck, etc. Nothing fancy with the engine, but he has a lot of good info.

If it becomes to big of a headache, let me know and I'll come take it off your hands! Quick 2.5hr drive for me!

• Baller

@gcam4 yeah I read Jeff's thread a couple of days ago. He did an impressive restoration and lots of good info in that thread.

If I get fed up with the restoration I'll let you guys know :wink:

• Baller

If all u did for starters was buff the exterior, redo upholstery n replace carpet with sea-deck—how serviceable wud she be at that point? Trailer looks ok. Anything further on motor does she run?

Might be good first steps, then get into dash, re-power. U know this the wake is going to be stellar.