Update to the Boat Path Measurement System rules

Horton

• Administrators

Basically the buoy deviation has been increased to 25cm for all events.

Here is the actual rule update https://www.ballofspray.com/Other/BoatPathRule8dot15rev20220518.pdf

• Baller_

@skierjp Who cares about world records?

I think if they are going to have rules like this there also should be a standard mount location for the receiver. I seen one mounted on the engine box handle, leaned against the pylon that was a bit loose. everytime the pylon deflected off the 1,3,5, side it would deflect the receiver off about 20 degrees, now I ain't a rocket scientist but I do know enough that would affect some weird assed end course information.

I seen em mounted towards the driver, away from the driver, for and after on the pylon, low and high on the pylon. I seen mounts that incurred what I would consider high vibration.

some one told me at a recent pro even it was

mounted on the windshield extrusion?

• Baller_

We need standard detents on the pylon at 0 degrees, 90 degrees, and 270 degrees. A clamp-based mount with a spring-loaded pin to lock in at each detent. The antenna would be precision-fitted to the mount so its center matched the center of each detent.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@Jody_Seal I’ve already worked 2 R tournaments here in Florida. The only 2 mounting locations I’ve been involved with is directly in front of the pylon and 90 degrees to the starboard side. I did hear of the windshield mount but that was a second system that was running in tandem as a test. I’ve had the system since March of 2021. It’s a awesome training tool for the wife. LOL I use to blame her for some of my bad skiing, not so anymore.

FYI, Lovey Is doing Safe Sport as we speak, she is not a happy camper?

• Baller
@teammalibu. Good point. Have seen some really loose pylons. Without thinking on this to much the boat may be out of the measuring zone by the time the skier really cranks down on it. Even at 41 the Pros are not really bearing down until just before the white water but we all know the later the skier gets or when things start going wrong the pull comes on much quicker.

• Baller_

@Horton very sarcastic aren't you?

yea I know you have a perfect mastercraft on perfect water with your own perfect crew that holds tournaments.

try showing up sometime to a tournament and watch some of the shitshow techs mapping out the sure path in windy conditions. then they have a better idea on how to mount the system then what others are doing.

wait! add in a 3 year old boat that sits in the water constantly with little or no love and hey! this is our class Land R towboat for the weekend cause........ well thats all we got!

now! clime in and drive short rope slalom and can't figure out why you can't seem to find or get numbers that you feel you should be driving.

call in and ask someone to take a look at your end course video only to be told hey driver you need to move over about 6"!!! well thats not what the sure path is telling me!???

let's see other issues on the three year old boat, tuners not engaging correctly, finding that the trick ballast does not drain and is reading incorrectly.

janky screen operation, rebooting the systems for various reasons.

then after the event six weeks later you find out the chair of the drivers committee as well as the chair of the tech committee is all up in arms about the drivers performance at the tournament.... all based on erroneous information with erroneous allegations. never asking what was going on just you suck as a driver or better yet your cheating and we want to downgrade the tournament.

all this without taking a look at the end course video....

Sorry Horton not much amused with your sarcastic tighten the pylon. you carry a 3/4" wrench with you in your ski bag??

again there needs to be some continuity with how the system is mounted and managed.

there needs to be an avenue for chief official feedback on tournament issues or conditions and boat problems.

• Baller

Increasing the tolerances for R is a good thing. SurePath is a great thing, an objective repeatable measurement. It has helped my driving and those who pull me. Does it require a bit more diligence and not have a S$#@ show boat, yes. It is an improvement in everyway over end course video, having someone suggest improvement to your boat path, and keeps everyone honest.

I am not the easiest skier in the world to drive for, and have a 13yr old 196 (well maintained), and my wife rarely gets a out of tolerance pass for me at 38 & 39. I find the cost justified for the survey feature alone. I have been able to get our course “right on” not just in record tolerance, as I now aim for tolerance for less than 10 mm from actuals.

• Administrators
@Jody_Seal if the LOC cannot arrange for things to be correct and in spec then maybe they should be hosting class C or class F events. The point of class L and R events is that they are a higher standard. A jackass class L is pointless.