Public course set up

tbarile

• Baller
We have a public course that is constantly getting damaged by tubers and jet skis. What have you found to be the most durable boat guides and attaching? We currently have all balls attached with clips to pvc, 3’ of cord, 2’ of bungee to ball. Thanks

• Baller
Assume this is a floating course. Feel your pain as I have had courses on public lakes for 30 years. In terms of best boat guides, the cone type seems to avoid snags better than buoys but are more buoyant which may cause an issue. For me, rather than have the course arms or cable damaged, I affix the buoys with 50 lb. zip ties at the buoy, so they tear off before any further damage. Replacing buoys is far better than having to replace PVC arms and cables. This approach has worked pretty well for me over the years. Yes, you do have the occasional cable issue or broken PVC arm, but that is part of dealing with the uncaring or uninformed public. Good luck and hope that helps.

• Baller

On Lake Latonka we have a floating course. For the yellow drive gates we use the yellow bullet shaped foam buoys(crab floats), and Overton's orange buoys for the rest. It is an accufloat course. We use mason string for the buoys, and attach them to the eyebolts with brass dog leash clips. If a buoy gets snagged it will break off pretty easy keeping the cables and pipes safe from damage. It was worked for us for well over 20 years. We keep spare buoys in our boats ready to clip on if any come up missing.