Binding placement trick ski

jnan66

• Baller
I cant get my Wiley enough back for the right location. The insert placement of the ski wont let me. I have a FM EVO hardshell that can be positioned right. Can I use that binding for tricks? I will only do hand tricks and as I understand you don`t want the binding to release.....or?

• Baller

Not wanting a binding to release ever applies to world class trickers that are doing flip sequences and other “high energy” tricks, and rather take the risk than getting released. Most of them have a rope releaser that also would have the rope for the hand pass, ready to let go in any tangle.

Many good level and world class trickers use releasable hardshells.

• Baller_

@jnan66 that sounds odd. I'm not that familiar with Reflex tricks, but all the other major brands have the inserts positioned to get major bindings close to the right spot. I would double check where the center of your inside ankle bone (left side if RFF) is relative to the Wiley. Use a Sharpie to mark the center of your ankle, then put the boot on and use a straight edge and line up with the Sharpie mark and mark the plate. It can be a challenge to see inside the binding so be persistent.

Then mark the center of the ski and put the binding mark 6-9 mm forward of the center.

If its still off you may need to drill new holes in the Wiley or try a different binding.

FWIW, the majority of trick skiers use hardshells vs Rubber bindings, so the FM is a reasonable choice.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Thanks. I have done this process and found my ankle almost 30mm in front of center. 20mm from where i want to be. I borrowed a friends Animal that I could place correct just to feel how it skied and it was much better.

• Baller
What it sounds like is that you have a Wiley slalom Hardcore binding - any chance you bought it used? Any of the current ones should work. But use that FM it will do fine. It will just get annoying if the cuff pops off every time you fall to get back on and loosen up those nuts and everything to get the ski back on. If you really reef down on the cuff retainer screws on a Revo it will basically not release but if you're just learning maybe not the hottest idea.