Spraymakers Season 3 - Episode 10 - Edge Change

ROBOT

• Administrators

irwwi2fentdx.jpg

The movement that takes you from pulling behind the boat to turning at the buoy is most often termed the Edge Change. It’s a pivotal move that when done correctly gives you the swing needed to run buoys with ease. Listen as the boys break it down.

• Baller
I was sitting on an airplane a couple of weeks ago and listened to this episode. One thing Rossi and Trent said hit me so hard I wrote it down. “When both of your hands are on the handle your chest should be pointed at the pylon.” I’ve never heard anything like that before. The next day I was back out on the water and… holy cow. What a difference it has made for me. I’m not really sure why that thought hit me so hard or why it has made such a difference for me, but even while just free skiing my ski buddies all say they can see a difference in how I am skiing. Thanks to Radar, and Rossi and Trent!!! Love Spraymakers! Please keep it up!

• Baller

Im trying to make sense of this. Id like to hear Rossi expand on this a bit more. I feel like off the second wake if Im square to the pylon I would have the tendency to give my leading shoulder back to the boat and lose all angle. Ive been taking a lot of video this season and this is killing me. At this point ill try anything. @KRoundy Can you expand on how you applied this technique?

• Baller

My coach had me focusing on the same thing last time I was out there. I need to get the on-dock explanation still.

I'm not a good source of information on the topic, but my current understanding is that you ultimately have to ride the handle/rope path. Being more "open" to the boat than the handle is fighting the rope path (trying to ski more to the shore). Sort of easier to understand if you think of what being 90° to the boat means and if there's any point to being more open at that point.

Looking forward to more expert explanation on this as well. Seemed to work when I did it correctly, and the pros seems to follow this rule.

• Baller

I hope this starts a good discussion on this topic. maybe some pics or vids from some pros would be great, I get the concept of being more open behind the boat but want to focus on the transition off the second wake into the buoy and how to manage being open without giving it all back to the boat.

Hopefully this thread gets a lot of bumps and attention.

• Baller

@C5Quest It is part of the whole episode but let me see if I can walk though what I am doing and how it helps (I think). It obviously works from the turn to the centerline. Body square, arms straight, position stacked. I think the change for me was then keeping open to the boat while keeping that leading arm straight and low. I'm keeping both hands on the handle longer and then moving to the "reach" with more purpose and doing so a lot later. The result is casting wide on a better line.

I have a tendency to let go of the handle too fast past the second wake by raising it too high. The "Point my chest at the pylon" thought helped keep both hands low, speed up, and the turns quick. This is a photo at the end of a run last week, on my offside, and for me this is a position I have been trying to progress to for quite some time. So, it worked for me? Am I explaining it well at all? I'm not Rossi or Trent by a LONG ways.

wiqx9be8pzvi.jpg

• Baller

Sorry, I was using "open" the opposite way I think. The way it was explained to me is having my shoulders square to the handle. Same thing but easier to see and adjust.

I feel like if I don't begin to rotate my shoulders as I come off center line, all that happens is my upper body gets pulled up towards the boat as I begin to approach the buoy. It's almost just a way to visualize not pulling too long or trying to ski an impossible line. It's not all that dramatic straight off the second wake, so you'll be through your edge change by the time it's noticeable.

You can pause this video of Regina at any point:

Struggling to find a drone video where this might be shown better, but I found a POV video from Freddie that might help see/feel the concept better:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cb2j05kF4ry/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Baller
Rossi has mentioned that exact video of Freddie multiple times during this season of Spraymakers. It would be great if Rossi or Trent could develop this concept a bit more. They often do a session later in the season where they take questions or comments from Ball of Spray. In what was probably my 15 minutes of fame moment they read one of my questions a season to two ago.

• Baller

I had that exact same thought. I've always skied with my chest pointed at the pylon too much off the second wake, which for me means handle too high and no "elbow on the vest." That concept is the most confusing part of S3 for me for sure. I ski much better if I slightly "hide my back shoulder" from the boat.

Trying to square what seems like a circle.