Binding sock?

Thumbs

My son finally wants to learn to ski but has two things working against him: massive feet and a blistering disorder.

We ordered custom boots from Wiley's to fit his 15 extra-wide, super high-instep feet. First day out and he had a lot of redness across the top of his instep. I have literally no idea what is considered normal. Will the binding stretch? Does he potentially need even more room at his instep?

The second issue is his blistering. Basically anything with a high friction environment causes his skin to blister very quickly. I was wondering if there is some sort of thin synthetic sock he could wear for skiing? Not sure how that would work with rubber binding, even with soap. Maybe vaseline instead of soap?

Thanks!!!

• Baller_

NO VASELINE!!!! Soap washes out of the binding. Vaseline will never fully come out.

1. On the instep issue, you can loosen the wrap over the instep. If that doesn’t work, take the wrap off all together until his foot is used to the binding. The binding won’t stretch. Note, however, that putting Wiley’s back together can be a challenge. Doable but a challenge. I’d call Wiley and ask for advice.

2. Try a CEP compression sock.

Did I mention no vaseline?

Lpskier

• Administrators
@Thumbs if your son is just learning to ski he really doesn't need a tight fit binding. I don't know if you can loosen up the binding you have or find something even bigger but until he is moderately skilled something semi loose should be fine.

• Baller

Wiley’s can be uncomfortably tight when they are new. They will eventually loosen up a bit. You can greatly accelerate the process by shoving something like a tapered sports bottle in the binder over night. (Use soap!)

I second the idea of Radar Vectors. Good support for a beginning skier and much easier to get into.