Off the water practice advice

lauskis

Does anyone have any advice for working on trick, slalom, or jump when you are not near water or a course? Current PB is 5 @ 26 for slalom, 39 feet for jump (newbie), and basic single trick ski tricks (SS,180)

• Administrators
@lauskis The short answer is no. This subject has been talked about year after year after year and honestly there is no analog for being on the water. I guess a trick trainer has value but there is nothing you can do to help you learn slalom and jump without being behind the boat.

• Baller
I'd disagree with @Horton on the slalom off water training, while you can't mimic the whole thing in one action you can practice the feeling in isolation for various sections of each movement on the water. I've found Flow Point Method to be great over the last 18 months.

• Baller

@Horton here's a quick screenshot of just a portion of the ski drills we have on FPM. @chrislandy is right, and you Horton are right as well....is there a replacement for skiing? No! There's no "putting green" or "driving range"....no way to deconstruct skiing into more fundamental elements.

However, there are certain Archetypal body shapes, weight transfers and movement sequences that can be pulled out of skiing, brought to the comfort of your own gym or living room (with a handle, superband, etc..) and worked on at a much higher repetition level than what you can achieve on the water. Sounds silly, but we are seeing a lot of success with these drills and we feel like its some of the lowest hanging fruit for quite a few skiers.

Incorporating a ski drill into your pre-ski routine is a phenomenal way to prime your mind for the movement patters you're looking for, from the very first pass. This reduces wasted passes (we all know what those are) and ultimately increases the quality of your movement on the ski, and the quality of the outcomes on the water.

85hj2axn1kln.png

• Baller

@Horton see above ;) like I said, lots of little movement practices that mimic parts of the overall movements when skiing - but nothing compares to skiing.

The difference is, if you do proper ski sets, you can only really do say 3x 10-15mins per day at the weekend and if you're lucky a couple of sets during the week so lots of time off the water to do practice other things...