Advice on new ski

ebbjak

I'm a long time skier (30+yrs) and trying to conquer the slalom course. I moved to a lake that has a course so I can ski it pretty much whenever I want, but I also do a lot of open water skiing - which is probably the bulk of what I do. The course is relatively new to me and I've been using an old Connelly ski, (2006 f1x). I have a Nautique with Perfect Pass. I have typically only skied on Connelly, but am open to just about anything as long as it can help me defeat the course and improve. I am currently sking 15 off. I ski with two boots. Given that info, what skiis should I be considering (budget is $2000 max with bindings, but sweet spot is $1500).

• Baller
You can move WAY up in gear for a lot less than you're talking. Look at ski it again. Just saw some amazing Connelly deals - 2020 GTR - NEW - $500. If you love your boots they should transfer just fine if still in shape. Keeping your bindings will help you assess the ski more as changing the ski and bindings is a LOT to try and sort out all at once. Personally as you are just getting started again, I'd not shoot the wad on the initial set up as you may well make a change as you progress. I'm a huge Connelly fan and was on a GTR which I loved and now is back up as riding a DV8. The grip on the current generation of Connelly's is amazing. Tons of binding options - I love Tfactors

Thanks for all of the input, I've taken something from each reply. I've narrowed it down to three options, 1. Connelly Carbon V - I can then use my existing bindings as, I too, love the Tfactors, 2. Radar Senate (rec by perfski) and 3. Radar Vapor - Lithium. Currently, I'm leaning toward a Radar ski due to the lower speed ratings - which should help in the transition to the new ski and allowing me to slow things down as I get accustomed to the consistent rhythm needed for the course. Thanks for the insight! Any additional thoughts?

• Baller

My advice is from your list, try to demo/try each. Demo program from a retailer. direct from ski company. Or buying used and reselling if doesn’t work.

I spent a season on a highly rated, recommended ski 5 yrs ago. Really tried to make it work with various binding position and set up input. Happiest day of my skiing year was when I admitted it just wasn’t for me.

• Baller

Ok so live in CA and had a 'camp' where I learned to ski in upstate NY I kept a Connelly F1 there years on and moved to other skis here in CA but could go back to NY and ski the F1 and

be real close or equal to my new ski. In other words, you have a great baseline ski. I like all the fanfare on Radar skis, but here in Norcal the dock is primarily D3 and I highly recommend their great demo program. Since on the F1 try the new Neo, it's designed to ride deeper (like the F1) and you might adapt quickly.

• Baller

First thing you gotta do is try to take your best guess at what speed you are going to have to drop down to before you can get all 6 balls. If that speed is like 18 mph, then you need to get a Hovercraft. If you think you can get through at 22, then a Session. 24-28, maybe like a Union or a Terrain. 28-32, grab a Senate (or a Connelly V, which is a very close competitor).

And so on and so forth.

You'll be really sad if you buy a ski that is FANTASTIC for you at 32 or 34 mph just to find out you aren't as good of a skier as you thought you were and you actually need to slow down to like 24 to be making it through the course and so now you have the wrong ski and/or the wrong size of ski.

The course is no fun when you consistently get scores of 1 and 1.5 because your ski is too small to be slowed down to match your ability level.

• Baller
A ski buddy rides a senate pro, and only skis 28 mph. The ski works well even at that slow speed. I would not recommend an adult slowing down more than that as it becomes like skiing in sand, even on a wider ski due to weight. IMO - Trying to slow down to whatever speed you can round all six can be more of a hinderance than a help.

Thanks for all the input! My current ski is the Connelly f1X which I bought new in 2006, so I've been skiing on it for 16 years. Before attempting the course I typically skied at 32mph and it rides nicely at that speed, at slower speeds it less nice, but still skiable. I know there have been a ton of advancements in skis in 16 years, plus it's fun to get new stuff. :) I see myself at 32 primarily, but don't think I'd get to 34MPH. I suspect if I slow to 29, that would be enough to get comfortable and build a solid rhythm - which is part of the appeal of the Senate and Vapor - both are rated down to 28mph and up to 34 - which should cover all my speeds. I don't know much about the D3 but will look into that as well. I'd like to find a place where I can demo each ski for a best comparison, but my local shop doesn't have all the needed brands. Part of the appeal of slowing down, is working on my form - I've never had a lesson and am self taught - so I'm quite certain I've learned a tremendous amount of bad habits, which is likely hindering me. I see the slowing down as temporary until I correct my bad habits enough to be able to make all 6.

• Supporting Member

A ski being "rated" for a given speed is needed, but not sufficient. It also needs to be a size that will be comfortable for you to actually ski at that speed. My philosophy for newer skiers is to ski as slowly as you can possibly stand it, and really work on fundamentals of body position and making your own speed across the wakes. But that will be super-unfun if your ski is too small for the speed.

The correct size will be dictated by ski model, boat speed, and skier weight, and most skis have a chart with these factors so you can get the best size.

• Baller
FWIW my ski progression went f1x(2007, prophecy (2011)and then when we moved to the lake 2020 Vapour Lithium. Have skied/owned a few other modern skis and love the Vapour both in course and free. My next ride will be a vapour pro.