Repowering a 2004 ProStar - how to get it done ?

swbca

• Baller_

I know there are at least 2 Repowering experts active on this forum.

I have a 2004 ProStar with about 1200 hours, 95% were at 20mph Trick Practice. Engine works fine, but the transmission may be starting to have a problem. It works but has squealing noise (like a fan belt) at 1000 rpm - doesn't make the noise with shaft coupler disconnected. I checked engine alignment yesterday which was good. The boat is generally in excellent condition.

It has a 350 HP EFI MCX Indmar engine with powerslot transmission . . don't need to spend extra on more power . . 165lb M7 and M9 skiers use the boat. It currently has updated PP with Stargazer.

Whats involved in Repowering this boat ? Who does it ? How is ZO incorporated (dashboard controls etc) What is estimated cost with ZO ? assuming transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

The boat is in Minnesota, but it can travel as needed.

3.1.png

• Baller_

c1tofcjq4hck.jpg

done a number of them. 6 liter pcm probably your best option price wise. non cat .

the gamble you take is will it fit under oem engine box without modification. 1200 hours exhaust system probably burned out in some areas, you will have to install new fuel delivery system or relocate items.

under $20k you should be able to repower that boat , engine and transmission.

there is some value in your equipment your pulling from the boat maybe offset byv$1k.

• Baller

Rebuild the tranny. Engine should have lots of life.

Assume you are not skiing 36mph, boat should last you a long time. Could add stargazer and zbox if you have money burning hole in your pocket.

Unless of course you really want ZO in THAT boat, independent of a financial decision. Then keep going.

• Baller

Let me make sure I understand on the tranny: your "belt noise" goes away when you disconnect the shaft? Everything else is staying the exact same except when you disconnect the drive shaft? Have you ever changed the strut bushings? Because if you're getting the sound at 1000 rpm in motion, and not at 1000 when not in motion (disconnected), I'm not seeing how there would be any explanation for that except that it's "down shaft".

• Baller_
@buechsr I isolated the noise with a stethoscope. The noise is "screaming" loud from within the bell housing. Other's mentioned the damper plate . . broken springs don't squeal but maybe the noise could come from the inner spline carrier moving around in the outer plate. With the rear shaft disconnected their is no load on the damper plate. Front transmission bearing and rear engine bearing are the only other moving parts facing the Bell Housing.

• Baller_

@Jody_Seal a couple of follow up questions . . . in that photo it looked like you may have modified the 2 main structural rails in the boat to mount the engine ? Would that be needed in an ProStar 197 ?

Do you know how about how much weight that engine adds over the original.

Are the engines new or rebuilt . . not that it matters much.

• Baller_

@swbca

photo is a "new" engine, trans combination. your looking at a Nautique repower.

weight who cares ? I belive it is lighter then a small block but all pcm repower engines come closed cooling so that adds 20 pounds or so. I

don't deal with rebuilt unless it is for my own boats or vehicles. to hard to stand behind and warrant rebuild marine engines.

• Baller

@swbca Malibus in that relative era had damper plate issues. I know little about Mastercrafts, though both likely used the same hardware from Indmar. That said, my question was when you last changed the strut bushings to which I didn't hear an answer. In any event, if you've stethoscoped that the sound is coming from bell housing, throw a damper plate on? Perhaps we're on the same page there? Why the repower questions in addition? If you really feel now is the time to repower, my last engine came from these folks:

http://marineengines4less.com/marine-engines/new-marine-engines/new-base-marine-engines/new-5.7l-vortec-marine-base-engine-replaces-years-1996-present/

It's run good for about 250 hours in a 196, save for a bad "new" distributor cap from PCM that made it such I couldn't get it to run (at first, until replaced).