Free skiing

pmm009

Hi All,

I love slalom skiing but the perfect conditions are tough to come by on my lake. I normally ski on a 67" Radar Senate, and I just picked up a used 71" HO Triumph. I'm hoping to use it in rough water to free ski and have some fun on rough days.

There is a trend with bigger skis like the HO Hovercraft for example. This is my poor man's version of the Hovercraft! I was wondering if you had suggestions for boot and fin placements to make the ski feel a little smaller? (I weigh 170 lbs).

Anyone try this already?

Thanks!

• Baller

I may be off here but isn't the the HO Triumph an old ski? I'd definitely say that a Senate is a better ski for any conditions. Best advice for rough days - take it easy, don't get hurt, ski another day. Ski at sunrise. Beat the wind and the crazies.......

Also - a 71 anything is WAY too big for 170 lbs

• Baller_
I had a carbon Phantom. I called it “The Phantom Menace.” It was not a predictable ski. In water above 80 it worked fine. Below 80 not so much. And busy water? Meh. And it was a 70”. What I should have bought was a 68” Monza. I went back to an F1. Now that was a great ski.

Lpskier

• Baller

@gsm_peter trick skis are an interesting play. The relatively long learning curve makes it hard to just hop on a trick ski in the rough if you haven't invested the time in good conditions they're not fun on actual rough water.

To be absolutely fair a hovercraft isn't that much fun on really rough water either unless you are going very slow. About the only thing that is fun in actual rough conditions would be an airchair or maybe a foil surf board?

Airchairs behind pontoon boats work great and you can go out on the roughest of days on big water.