95’ Malibu Flightcraft Outboard Re-powering

At11

Hi folks, I’m looking for some recommendations for replacing the outboard on my 95’ Flightcraft Barefooter. We primarily use the boat for slalom skiing.

The boat is currently powered by a 96’ 200HP Mercury XRI Black Max, with a 19 pitch high five prop. We would like similar performance and would prefer to get a new 4 stroke motor, but may be open to finding a newer used 2 stroke option. However, our main concern pertains to the increased weight on the newer motors, which will likely negatively effect the wake. We also know that the bigger Mercury 4 strokes will require a ski pylon extender.

Below is our current motor specs, as well as those of a few motor options we are currently considering, let us know your thoughts.

Current:

200 Mercury Xri - Gear ratio 1.87:1 - 415 lbs

Mercury:

150 Pro XS - Gear ratio 2.08:1 - 456 lbs

175 Pro XS - Gear ratio 1.85:1 - 470 lbs

200 FourStr - Gear ratio 1.85:1 - 475 lbs

200 Pro XS - Gear ratio 1.75:1 - 505 lbs

Yamaha:

150 I-4 VMax SHO - Gear ratio 2.0:1 - 480 lbs

175 I-4 VMax SHO - Gear ratio 1.86:1 - 480 lbs

200 V6 VMax SHO - Gear ratio 1.75:1 - 529 lbs

• Baller

@At11 If you could find a used one in good condition, a G1 small block version Evinrude eTec 200 would be ideal for you. The 2.7 L small block V6 version of the eTec 200 only weighs 433 lbs and is much shorter (no pylon extension needed) and smaller in size than any 4-stroke 200 hp motor out there. You don't want the 200 HO (high output) eTec version because that motor uses a 3.3L V-6 block and weighs about 524 lbs.

Here's a link to a page that explains the differences between the 4 versions of 200 eTec that Evinrude (BRP) made:

https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2213

I think they made the G1 2.7L eTec 200 up until about 2017 or 18.

The eTec will also give you way better fuel economy and way lower emissions than your current motor (if it's carbureted) and better fuel economy and lower emissions than any of the modern fuel injected 4-stroke motors even though eTecs are 2-Stroke motors. And because they're 2-stroke, eTecs have something like 130 fewer moving parts than a competitor's 4-stroke motor so there are far fewer parts that can wear out and fail. They also don't look stupidly huge like the current generation of high horsepower 4-stroke outboards do.

I have a 2010 eTec 150 HO and I absolutely love it. On my 17' Glastron 180GT it gets 2 to 2.5 times the fuel economy my old Johnson 115 got on a boat that was 500 lbs lighter than the Glastron. The thing has been ultra-reliable and trouble-free and super easy to maintain. The thing even winterizes itself at the end of the season!

IMO, the G1 eTec motors were the best outboards ever made. According to my nephew, a senior Evinrude mechanic, the G2 eTecs are not near as reliable as the G1s (too many sensors that can fail on the G2s) so a G1 is the way to go, if you decide to look at an eTec.

I just successfully installed a SteadyPass speed control system on my eTec and it's working very well. There are others that have installed PerfectPass on their eTecs as well. I thoroughly documented how I adapted SteadyPass to my eTec here. It's pretty easy.

https://etecownersgroup.com/post/successful-steady-pass-speed-control-installation-on-2010-etec150-ho-12420854