CARBON PRO IS THIS A GREAT BOAT?

bananaron

• Baller

I owned a 2011 Carbon Pro and have to say it ranks up at the top as a favorite boat.I thought it was well made and certainly has a great wake and pull.How many ballers still have one of these boats and I would like to hear some thoughts on how it compares to the older and even newer boats of today. Really wish it was still being made.Any thoughts??

IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

• Like 1

• Administrators

It was a great boat.

Downsides compared to a current year ski boat

• the fit and finish did not hold up as well / interior 
  • takes a more skilled driver to stay straight with a shortline skier
  • Zero trick wake ( if anyone cares )
  • The pull was great but is softer ( feels great until you go to a tournament and get a current boat )

Upsides

• better than may older boats for the money ( I would likely take a 196 over a CP)
  • 6.0L CP is a HOOT to drive
  • DIslike 1

• Baller

@Horton I bought back my 2001 Gekko GTR last yr and now its 22 yrs old and looks like new.The vinyls carpet and other items I am sure were not top of the line however this boat was taken care of and looks better then all of the big 3 boats that I bought or looked at due to being taken care of.Sure fit and finish and items are not the best however if taken care of things last.And to be honest the Gekko and CP sold for more then the big 3 as far as original price. They both had better re sale and I think for me both boats are better in many ways.Fit and finish won't make me a better skier and really its how you take care of things that will make it last.

IMG_7919.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yea you can not compare a boat that was used as a tractor with a boat that was kept spotless in temperature controlled storage. Hard to compare any 2 specific boats 

• Baller

@Horton Not sure what you are saying however none of my boats have ever been kept in temperature controlled storage and all of my boats are ski tractors. I live in Northern Minnesota where our seasons are short however the summer of 2022 I skied about 110 times. I ski open water at 34 to 36 mph and its about 2.50 miles each run we take. My ski partner does the same so my boats get used in a short season probably every day.

• Baller

bananaron

I bought my 2014 CP 5.7 PMC with 275 hours in 2016 from a promo guy in Paduka KY. It is white hull with metal flake black stripe. This boat was used in one of the Southern regionals. I think it was the 2014 southern Regionals. I love my boat and is the only boat I can ski at 22 off wake due to my very bad ankle. Other boats I ski 15 off and jump straight to 28 off. Everyone in my Club at No Wake loves the wake on my CP, especially the women and kids. The reason for so few hours is the guys usually already have the club boat (2012 MC) in when I get to lake. I will most likely keep this boat till I quit skiing. At 69 years of age not for sure how much longer I can go with all the arthritis I have everywhere especially left (front foot forward) ankle. I find the CP's drive ok if you do not try to over steer. Due to they are light you feel the skier more but in my opinion you do not need to correct as much as you think you do. It tracks well doing very little. My boat stays in garage (never less than 60 degrees FH) in the winter and under aluminum carport building at the ski lake in the summer. It gets wiped down (even the trailer) after every use and looks like new. The only thing I do not like is the small swim platform compared to MC, CC and MB boats. If not careful you can fall off putting skies on and makes it a little more difficult getting out of water. I have considered figuring out a way to put on a bigger teak platform but have not done that yet. Love my boat and wish they still made them.

Tom Smothers (oldmanskier)    

• Like 1

• Baller
3 hours ago, RAWSki said:

CP Poor interior?  Maybe the first couple years?   

Let me rephrase it to ''lower quality'' interior compare to others but cheaper price tag too.

Good luck with your sale!

• DIslike 1

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I bought my 2011 CP in 2020 and it was in pristine condition.Yes does the CP and GEKKO boats probably have cheaper vinyls carpet and other things used then the big 3. I would say yes however my experience is if taken care of things last a long time.And for me the fit and finish of the boat does not make me a better skier.I owned many of the big 3 boats and still have one however I don't think they lasted as long or longer as far as appearance as the cheaper boats.The CP I think has a very nice interior and I would certainly buy another one......

• Baller

My butt felt the lack of cushion on the Gekko observers seat  every time I sat in my brothers boat at the time.  My SN 196 was like pillows.

as for durability my 91 centurion began cracking with excellent care at about 20 years old. My Nautique also at 20 years old.  

some of us want to drive a car, some want a car where everywhere u look is quality over simply adequate functionality.  My centurion dash I cud do without.  I could have had the same performance in a Jeep SUV as a Benz AMG, but the Benz was just refined everywhere and I bought it for less than a new Jeep SRT.  

it’s all different means to the same end but when I spend I want serious refinement.  That’s just me.  I don’t drive a hot hatch (civic si and others) I drive a Porsche Panamera twin turbo 4 door hatch AWD bought used for less than a civic si or golf GTI.  That’s just me.  

others want the Golf R—super cool car I would love to take a spin but not my daily.  

Edited by 6balls