Best way to apply force to move engine Left / Right

swbca

• Baller_

Today its time to align engine after installing a new (elastomer) damper plate.  I used a vertical 2x4 to pry the engine around to re-attach transmission mounts to the rails.

If necessary, is there a best way to push the engine left-right after releasing the wedge-bolts on the front mounts ?  

On Trailer or Floating in water during shaft alignment ?
In a thread 2 years ago, someone commented about a problem with aligning the shaft with the boat on a trailer.   What is best practice ?

• Like 1

• Baller_

I care that the alignment is good on the water.  With that said, I do the alignment on the trailer, give it a check on the water.  The big confirmation is the shaft spins freely when in the water and in neutral with the engine running the shaft spins slowly.  That to me confirms very low friction in the rudder shaft bushings.  For left right moves, usually a hand bump will do it, if you are sliding the engine sideways in a clamp joint, a little WD40 will allow it to slide a bit easier.  I like to mark the location once things are set.

Edited by DW
  • Like 2

• Baller

Depends if you have a need for or use for these for a variety of jobs but a set of portable hydraulic tools you can get a set from ~125 to 1200 bucks they're very useful.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-portable-hydraulic-equipment-kit-58775.html

Essentially its a manual hydraulic pump with a cylinder and a spreader.  You select which attachment you want, the cylinder has extension rods for presetting length, and then an assortment of shoes/feet etc.  And then there is a spreader attachment that looks like a little duck bill fits into small spaces and opens them up.  

image.png

Once you own these tools you find ways to use them over and over and over.  For instance I raised my hot tub this weekend, I've lifted a portion of my deck to replace a post, I've used it to hold an engine off a frame rail while on a lift to replace an engine mount.  I've used them to slide the engine back and forth in my boat.  I've used them to pop ball ends off on my car instead of a pickle fork.  I jack up my vertical mill with the duck bill to move it.  And because its a hydraulic system once you have the air out of it you can move things by just nudging them the tiniest fraction of an inch with a push of a finger.  So when aligning a boat you get the stuff close you get out your feeler gauge and you give a nudge to the handle and check when it reads right you snug the bolts and release the pressure should be perfect.

• Like 2