Nautique Shifter Buzzing

tjones999

• Baller

Had an issue with a 2014 Nautique shifter. Boat would go into reverse, would not go into forward. This is a digital fly by wire shift and throttle. 

It was at an event so you do whatever you have to do to resume... Opened it up and found there are three microswitches for neutral interlock, forward and reverse, actuated by a plastic cam attached to the shift lever. They are all mounted on a printed circuit board and are a waterproof type and where they mount on the PCB they are fully glued to seal. (Looks like a pretty clean design!). There was some glue on the actuator lever for the forward microswitch that I think was causing the issue. Removed that and it would shift. 

But... 

Even before we took things apart, I noticed that the control makes a sort of buzzing noise when in gear. It almost sounds like a relay buzzing... like a mechanical buzz not a beeper. Can't really see where this is coming from as things are sort or potted with glue. 

Anyone had this before?

Side note... the cover you take off to expose the micro switches has a blob with wires in it attached to the cover... THAT controls throttle... and fun fact, starting the engine with that off is full throttle... just saying... It appears to be a magnetic sensor that senses two magnets on  the throttle control to determine throttle position. 

• Baller
9 hours ago, tjones999 said:

Had an issue with a 2014 Nautique shifter. Boat would go into reverse, would not go into forward. This is a digital fly by wire shift and throttle. 

It was at an event so you do whatever you have to do to resume... Opened it up and found there are three microswitches for neutral interlock, forward and reverse, actuated by a plastic cam attached to the shift lever. They are all mounted on a printed circuit board and are a waterproof type and where they mount on the PCB they are fully glued to seal. (Looks like a pretty clean design!). There was some glue on the actuator lever for the forward microswitch that I think was causing the issue. Removed that and it would shift. 

But... 

Even before we took things apart, I noticed that the control makes a sort of buzzing noise when in gear. It almost sounds like a relay buzzing... like a mechanical buzz not a beeper. Can't really see where this is coming from as things are sort or potted with glue. 

Anyone had this before?

Side note... the cover you take off to expose the micro switches has a blob with wires in it attached to the cover... THAT controls throttle... and fun fact, starting the engine with that off is full throttle... just saying... It appears to be a magnetic sensor that senses two magnets on  the throttle control to determine throttle position. 

got any photos?