Zero-off Single puck upgrade

Dockoelboto

• Baller

I have a 2013 Response TXi. The zero-off head unit is fading in the heat and is difficult to read. I am going to replace it and do the single puck upgrade at the same time. Anyone have any experience changing out the head unit and with the single puck change on a response TXi? Any guidance on how to replace the head unit would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has guidance on drilling into gel coat to make the larger hole, I could definitely use some guidance.  I searched and couldn't find anything. I also posted on Malibu Crew and so far no reply. Thanks!

• Baller

I can't address Malibu specifically, but it shouldn't be a real problem if you can remove the the dash panel.  As for drilling gel coat, just get you a1" hole saw and start slowly.  Be sure of your location.

• Baller

I think it should be fairly easy. I just was hoping someone had done it on a TXi and could give advice on how to remove the dash panel. I'm sure it isn't too complicated. Hopefully. I've also had a few surging issues with my dual puck set-up. Hopefully a single puck conversion helps that.

• Baller

I complete the dual to single puck upgrade on my 08 CC 196 this spring. I used a Bosch 1” Diamond Hole saw with a centering bit to enlarge the original hole for the wiring to one of the dual pucks.

Freddy Krueger has some tutorials for the ECI puck install, some MC specific information but it should be helpful. Good luck with your project.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/diamond-hole-saws-hdg1-34914-p/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuER3DoPOtk

Edited by vtjc

• Baller

I completed this upgrade 2 or 3 years ago with my 2014 TXi. It was well worth it. I think I just put some painters tape over the gel coat where I was going to drill, then used a small hole saw. I put it right next to where the old round puck was on the driver side, so it covers the old hole. I left the passenger side puck in place (unplugged at the head unit) instead of trying to plug or patch the hole. I think removing the head unit is pretty straight forward, if you get under the dash, you will see. 
Like I said, it was at least a couple years ago. I don’t remember any gotcha’s, so it must have been pretty easy, even for someone with novice skills like me. Definitely improves the pull.

IMG_3812.jpeg

Edited by Mick04

• Baller

To enlarge an existing hole and damage gelcoat use a jigsaw or holesaw to cut a piece of ply fitting old hole diameter then tape it into existing hole. It provides the ‘centre’ for holesaw matching new transducer diameter. Initially run drill in reverse at low speed until it’s through gel coat then just drill normally. 

• Baller
On 6/12/2023 at 12:08 PM, Dockoelboto said:

I think it should be fairly easy. I just was hoping someone had done it on a TXi and could give advice on how to remove the dash panel. I'm sure it isn't too complicated. Hopefully. I've also had a few surging issues with my dual puck set-up. Hopefully a single puck conversion helps that.

For the dash panel, there should be a single screw at center top (if I remember correctly), and 2 screws on the Malibu oval logo at the bottom of the panel. Remove these and you should be able to pull the panel forward for easy access to the ZO gauge.

Edited by Zman

• Baller
21 hours ago, Dockoelboto said:

@Zman - thanks for the tip! I have seen those screws, I was hoping it would be simple, you just never know.

Just pull the instrument panel forward carefully after removing the screws so that the somewhat sharp edges don't damage the surrounding upholstery.