do you change your ZO setting?

Horton

ZO  

82 members have voted

1. 1. do you change your ZO setting from both to boat?

• Yes
    • No

• Baller

Unknowingly ran a perfect experiment this morning. Malibu 5.3DI. Tried B1 then instantly forgot I was trying it the minute I hopped in the water. Whole set was a shit show and I didn't know why. Particularly gates, move out and glide. I thought I forgot how to ski. Every gate was different.

Climbed in and the driver reminded me- B1. Flipped it to B2 and skied a normal buoy count. Particularly the gate felt right. Amazing difference.

• Baller

Love this topic, back when I was 57-60 years old and 198 lbs I found C-1 was my setting. Back then I was much stronger off the ball and take advantage of the stronger pull. As I got older and less stronger I needed to revise where the boat would pick me up after the turn after the ball. Started playing with the A's. A-1 at first then A-2. At age 70 and 180 lbs I once found myself working hard against the boat when using Z-off, so I tried A-3. Bingo, for me I found I wasn't fighting against the boat (Z-off) off the ball. I was staying ahead of the boat and load as much as I wanted between the wakes a Z-off would reward me with a wide early pull to the next ball. @Horton I'm surprised you waited so long to try different settings. I remember everyone would say B-2 was like PerfectPass to me it never felt like it. My 2 cents.

Ernie Schlager

• Administrators

@VONMAN 

The revelation for me was that settings make so much less different behind the ProStar & 99.99% of my practice rides for the last 7 (+/-) years are behind ProStars. I had tried all the letters and numbers and frankly none of it was massive so I settled in at A2 and worried about other things.

I've only had the opportunity to experiment a little with changing letters and numbers behind the malibu and the nautique this summer, but when I did I found the differences to be 10x more than behind the ProStar. That's what I learned.

Disclaimer: I am 100% sure that a handful of you would do the same experiment and have completely the opposite experience.

• Baller_

It would be interesting to look at the engine calibration tables to see if things like throttle gain and ignition timing are significantly different across mfg’s.  Many years ago an outside company did the cal development for Indmar, not sure if things are different as ZO has been integrated.

• Administrators

@DW

I am not an engineer but here is what i know

1. ProStar is the lowest drag hull of the 3

2. The Ilmor 6.0 L in the ProStar is MPI not the DI in the Boo & SN ( so slightly slower response? )

3. The Boo & SN are not only DI but also  6.2L vs the 6.0L found in most ProStars 

4. The elephant in the room: The prop on the ProStar is MUCH bigger than prop on SN & Boo.

5. whatever the ZO programing differences are