Reflex Plate Flex w/ Boot

DW

• Baller_

Installing a Supershell 6.0 boot / plate combo on my ski.  I shim my plate and in the process verify the plate lays flat either on the ski or on any shims.  Typically I install the plate only then clip in the boot.  This time I set the plate w/ the boot clipped in and realized as I was checking shim contact the front of the plate was curled up.  Popped the boot off and presto, plate was flat.  Thus, at 'rest' with a boot clipped in, unless the plate is shimmed for it, there will be an upward force at least on the front attachment points.

1.  Does anybody else check this?  and

2.  Do you shim the plate for zero force with the boot clipped in?

There is always the chatter about the flex impact of a boot plate and Reflex does have a solution in the DC binding.

@Horton - a back to back test?

• Baller_

It's a feature - when you clip the heel down it noses up the toe thus bending the plate (off the ski so plate is free to flex).  Thx for comment on ski response effect.

• Baller

Are you on a size 12? All reflex plates do that, but on size 12 the flex is visible even when all six screws are tightened. This is why D3 puts an extra set of inserts on their 67” and up skis. If there is no curl at all, then there’s usually some play when the boot is clipped in. If the toe bar to release mechanism spacing is right, then there will be some curled up. To much or to little is not good…

• Administrators

@DW I looked at it. I see what you are talking about. When all 6 screws are in I do not think it matters. 

What is shows is that the plate is not overly stiff and that is a good thing. 

• Baller_

@skialex - size 10, standard plate

@Horton - for sure the plate is not very stiff in that direction, I was thinking of a way for fun to actually measure it although it does in fact add some lifting force on the front inserts. 

As much as anything curious if others noticed this as it only is obvious with the boot clipped in as you try to mount the plate.  Or compensated for it because if .001" fin change means something then ... 🤣

• Baller

@DW Ive been meaning to post pics of this very topic.  Ive used all kinds of reflex set ups and recently picked up a Reflex super shell 8.o.  The boot has the new carbon U bracket which doesn't really sit flat on the plate. It seems to cause extra tension and when the boot is clipped in the front of the plate really bends upward.   Was wondering whether to send it back or not.  So I guess this normal?