Going from 34 to 32 mph

Iski61

• Baller_

I did switch from a Radar Vapor Pro to a Denali C-85, but not because the Radar wasn’t working. If I hadn’t liked the Denali so much, I might still be riding the Radar. It was great at 32. So I don’t necessarily think you need to switch skis unless you aren’t on the right ski for you in the first place. 

And while it is a little harder to get wide, it is a lot easier to make space. What you lose here, you make up there. 

• Like 1

Lpskier

• Baller

Work on your handle control skills. That's key to 32 and under.  That's why I failed so miserably at going to 32.  My skiing began its downward spiral when i went to 32.  If you don't feel that you have to, DON'T do it.

• Baller_

take the wing off. up your physical conditioning as it takes far more strength to make up for the increased drag of skiing slower.

droping down from a speed that skiers have skied for 30 years can be tough. the dreded 22 off bump is now at 28 off, wakes incresse in overall size as the boat displaces more water going slower. skis really dont work as well below 34mph . the "experts" say get a bigger ski to ski slower, i say no to that as nothing like trying to fly that bigger board through the bigger wakes at slower speeds then have to try and turn it. older divisions I think would be able to tolerate a slower speed if the speed was not dropped 3kmh or roughly 2mph. with today's rules and speed control it may be time to take a look at speed rules in the sport.  maybe drop 2 kph rather then 2 mph. may seem like a small change to mess with but as one of those that are struggling with the speed drop, rather then skiing at 52 kph change the rule to  53 is almost exactly 33 mph and it to me skis closer where the ski and wakes work together without the drag.

• Like 1

• Baller

Just go ski. After a year you won't know the difference. I am now on a LaPoint and skiing at the same line lengths but with more consistency than ever before. I had to back off a little on intensity but that's about it.  

• Like 3

• Baller

@Iski61 @LeonL is spot on, it is critical, to stop your back shoulder getting peeled in after the second wake on your way to the bouy + carry the handle wider and reach when you are adjacent to the bouy, this will ensure that you have enough width and speed to make a good turn, I still have my Radar Pro on stock setting with 9 degrees wing, if you work on picking up the pendulum of the boat, you do not really feel the effect of drag, the Radar Pro creates plenty of speed for 32mph.

• Baller

@HortonMaybe just me or maybe the Vapor is more sensitive , when I  went to 8 degrees the ski felt like it was stuck on the pullout and the off side,  the ski felt like there was too much tip in the water, it turned and turned hard, but I  wasn't,  liking the feel of the ski, any recommendations welcomed, I  am fairly strong and ski with too much aggression,  I think that is why it works for me, if I  back off as people suggest, I do not run passes, but a ski with less drag would be appreciated, then I  could work on less effort.

Edited by Stevie Boy

• Baller

I have used anywhere from 6 degrees to 9 degrees. 9 degrees works best for me but I pull hard. I find 32 mph lets me use a bit more excess speed than at 34 and still get away with it. Too slow at 32 and I dig a big hole I can't fight my way out of. 

• Baller

If you are on the heavy side of your current ski’s range, try a bigger ski.  I was according to Goode to light for my 67” XTR at 34mph, tried a 68 but was too large to get sufficient tight turns at shorter rope lengths.

I went from 8-9 degree of wing to 7. And after experimenting ended up with .005 increased depth.  As other have recommended, holding on to the handle (not releasing early) is even more important at 32, so if you are letting go early at 34, you may suffer.

The only other change I made consciously made was to get/keep wide for the gate and not add too much load before the 1st wake. As many things are in skiing, it is more mental than real, if you think it harder or you need to pull harder, shorter or longer; you are going to have issues. Just wack yourself in the head with the handle twice and ski.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

@Stevie Boy more wing means more tip in the water. Less wing means tip higher. Also one degree of wing should not make a massive difference. It make a difference but not huge.

I say take some wing out and try to ski lighter.

• Baller

@Horton I will give it a go on 7, not wanting to waste too many sets, the weather for us this year has been poor, if it's not raining it's strong head and tail wind, like 12mph gusting to 22mph, not a good year, skiing has been sporadic,  ski fitness and consistency has been difficult.