Cost of new Water-skis

Downunder

• Baller

We all can't believe how much ski boat prices have risen over the last few years, but are water ski prices going the same way? The new Radar Vapor 2024 water-ski is available for pre-order in Australia for $3000 ($2999). Last years stock retailed for $2669 AUD. 

2023 DV-8s retail for $2,229 and the HO Syndicate Works broke the $2,500 (AUD) barrier last season but a 2024 Works is advertised for pre-sale at $2199 (AUD) (hopefully this is not a mis-print) ..... 

There is a lot of price variation for brand to brand and ski to ski. I assume R&D would generally focus on the higher end skis in a range and that is an obvious cost, freight and other selling costs have also risen post COVID. I want manufacturers to be profitable so they develop better skis, but is there a limit to the price skiers will pay for a new ski, or are we all just in the mindset that this is a very expensive sport and we are will to pay whatever? Or for most regular skiers, money is not really a concern? 

Second-hand skis are readily available to reduce costs but still...... $3000 for a ski must be starting to push the limits of even the most passionate skier. It will have an impact on the cost of second hand skis but by how much, will depend on who buys the new skis I suppose.... 

Any thoughts? 

Edited by Downunder

• Baller_

Inflation is also very real. For the Radar example, $2669 AUD in 2022 is worth roughly $2880 in 2023. So the "actual" increase in price from 2022 to 2023 was only $119 AUD. Certainly still an increase, but not as dramatic as it may seem, as everyone has to increase prices just to keep up.

• Baller
17 minutes ago, rockdog said:

@Downunder a painted electric over hydraulic nice trailer from Easytow - approx $18k. Skis $3k, boats $200k +. All of this can only mean one thing, it's not gonna be pretty when it comes. And it's coming..

I'm putting my foot down .....no skis this year - enough is enough, the kids can bloody well use their slalom skis for another year..... 

Edited by Downunder
  • Like 3

• Baller

Rodgers ran -41 almost 30 years ago; and there have been skis that have allowed people to run -41 many times since.  Presumably some of these model skis are on the used market and even great new skis left over from previous model years get substantially discounted.  I don't see having the newest ski as a real "need" to be competitive, only a "want."  If you are a patient shopper you can pick up a very nice ski for under a $1000 down to a couple hundred bucks.  

• Like 3