Is their a "alert" sound or visual when Engine temp too high on ProStar 190

swbca

• Baller_

Will be winterizing our 2014 ProStar 197 next week and putting in a new impellor at the same time.  No issues now.   Knowing that engine overheating should be avoided at all costs, is there an alert to bring an over-heating problem to the attention of the driver.  Obviously know one watches the TEMP gauge continuously. 

• Baller

IMO - Temp and oil pressure should always be glanced at very often anytime the engine is running as these are the two most critical metrics. If a problem is occurring catching it early can make all the difference. Sensors, idiot lights, and alarms have a purpose but they generally warn at the danger zone. I want to know something is going on long before it gets to the danger zone. 

• Baller

The old ones had a buzzer not 100% sure on your vintage.

I hear the buzzer when I shut the boat off right after dropping a skier, then restart it quickly the heat soak will bring the temps high enough to trigger the buzzer.  I don't get that if I idle for a bit before killing the engine or wait a few minutes before restarting so you might be able to figure it out.  You could also pull the temp sender get a cup of boiling water and see what the boat has for an alert/alarm.

• Like 1

• Baller_

+1 on @MDB1056 comment on gauge glancing.  Frequent water separator cleaning and trans cooler checks can fend off impending issues.  Another warning sound is the exhaust note of your boat, the water flow is a significant part of the exhaust system, as an impeller fails and stops delivering water to the exhaust the note changes significantly.  As the owner and financier of my boat, another check I do is to glance at the exhaust tips while skiing to verify water is flowing.  We don't consider boat driving a time for being distracted, it's a time to focus on giving the skier the best pull and focusing on how the boat is running.

• Like 3