Face-to-Face Special – with Ryan Dodd

ROBOT

• Administrators

The TWBC Podcast took the opportunity to talk with Ryan Dodd as he prepared to compete at the World’s at Sunset Lakes. He explains his training regimen and why he has been largely absent for much of the tournament season.

Looking to support this 3rd season of the TWBC Podcast? Email Tony at podcast@waterskibroadcasting.com to get more details on how to be a supporting sponsor.

• Administrators

In the interview Dodd talks about how long skiers have been going 230. It literally has been 24 years since the first jump over 230 ft ( Jaret in 1999 )

I thought it might be interesting to graph the record over the years. The only really crazy blip was 1992 -1995. I am guessing that this is because this is  when big skis were first a thing. The record was broken 6 times and moved 14 ft in 1992-1993. 12 feet in 93 alone.

The second biggest blip is Grimditch bumping the record by 11 feet in 1975. What makes Grimditch's record special is that he moved the record 11 feet in one jump. The second most number of feet the record has been moved at once was Hazelwood's 195 jump in 1980 that took the record away from Mondor's 187.

image.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Cooper_Trelawney

I believe the last couple of records were set on perfect days at events designed specifically to take shots at the record. Ideal headwind, preferred boat & driver, simply wait around until the natural environment was perfect and then go try to boot a huge one.

To eclipse the current record, I would assume we will need to have to see some new unforeseen talent or some advance in technique or equipment. 

• Baller
On 10/20/2023 at 12:12 PM, Cooper_Trelawney said:

The chart really illustrates how long the current world jump record has stood and I honestly can't think of when it might get broken.  254' seems unreachable considering Krueger and Dodd aren't getting younger (the only jumpers to ever go 250+).  Am I wrong?

This is something that feels incredible to me. For the first time in my life, I was able to go to a few Pro Events this year, and seeing jumpers go all out and *maybe* hit 230 in person made me realize just how crazy 250 is. In slalom we see attempts at 43off fairly regularly, and many trick skiers edge near the 12k mark at most events, but getting an extra 20-25ft in jump is crazy. Someone will break the record eventually, but I'm curious to see what it will take and how long

• Like 2

• Baller

@Horton that young Italian skier had a 6+ meter PB at the Worlds, which is definitely a crazy improvement!  It's amazing that the WR is 20 ft further than a typical "good" jump by Freddy or Ryan.  Jumping is a different animal now compared to the 80s/early 90s.  The biggest improvement i ever made was 6' and that felt hugely further.   But I was only jumping 140s a long, long time ago.