Are any ski schools out there more geared toward Christian Conservative values than others?

escmanaze

• Baller

So...I know we can't talk politics on here.  But I don't know how to avoid it and I don't know where else to go to ask.  So I'm going to go ahead and throw this up here and hope it doesn't turn into a firestorm and pray that maybe there's a chance, if folks can behave, that it won't get deleted or get me banned or something and that just maybe I can get some good answers from those of you in the know.  

My teenage boy is now quite interested in attending a summer ski camp to work on improving his skills and having a cool camp experience.  His PB this year was 25 mph at full line length.  If we skied a bunch before a July-ish camp, I think I could have him up to about 28 mph at full line length or even 15 off.  This point becomes the point where stacking up etc. becomes critical, and I believe the best age for him to begin taking advantage of the coaching that would be available at a camp.  

However, he is still at a very young and impressionable age where I feel like I would really still like to have some control and say over who I allow to take full ownership over him for a full week at a time.  So...I'm asking the question.  Now I will accept the consequences to follow, whatever they may be, and hope to maybe get some useful answers.  

• Like 2
  • Heterodox 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

@escmanaze 

I do not think any of the ski schools promote "bad behavior" but I am unaware of any that really carefully monitor the kids after hours to make sure that "adult behavior" is not going on. 

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@escmanaze I do know there are some , maybe Cobel that you can send him all day and pick him up in the evening, then drop him back off the next day , so basically, he would do everything except “sleep” there. Also, I would get rid of “long line” to much rope, he needs to be skiing at -15 off, my 7yr old grandson never skied long line, way to much rope in my opinion. FWIW

IMG_6805.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

Local Jr Dev camps are by far the best bang for your buck. Here in NorCal/Sac area there are 2 camps a year ( not the official USAWS camps ). The coaching is literally world-class thanks to @twhisper  but that is not the important part. The important part is that the kids have fun. The kids all sleep in tents, eat together, swim, play volleyball and generally goof off together. 

I also took Buford to Florida last spring. We skied with Rini. The hospitality and quality of coaching was amazing. Matt's right hand man Cole Grant is VERY good with kids and there are plenty of kids and young adults there. If there had been no other young adults or kids on site it would have been far less valuable. ( I highly recommend https://www.mattrini.com/ )

Most of you likely do not need to be told this but the quality of coaching is not nearly as important as the kids interaction with each other. Buford Danger and I have a great relationship and she goes to the lake with me a lot but if there were other kids around all the time she would be asking me to take her to the lake and not the other way around. 

If you want your kids to want to ski you have have to surround your kids with more kids. If it is just you and your kid it might work but but the odds are stacked against you. When I lived in Bakersfield there were not any young kids skiing so I often had college kids come ski on my dime. 

• Like 4

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@Horton I agree fully! The Jr Development camps are great, and the kids get to know each other. My grandson is “hungry” everyday for the course and to improve and get a PB, HELL, he told his  mom if she should die that he wants to live with me and @RAWSki🤣🤣 which he basically does in the summer to keep him on the water. But back to the kids, he absolutely loves going to tournaments knowing he will play football, soccer and eat pizza with his fellow waterski friends he has made since he started skiing! They ARE our future and we are building memories to never be forgotten❤️

• Like 3

• Administrators

@escmanaze first of all there are 2 different versions of Jr Dev camps. 

1. There are the AWSA backed camps for kids who are top of their age group. 
  2. There are locally organized camps that are generally open to any kids and may or may not get funds from the AWSA regions or areas.

If your kids are good enough to go to the AWSA organized camps then they contact you. 

For the locally organized camps, you just have to be plugged into the local clubs or organize them yourselves. It is not rocket science but it does take some effort to put one on. The mom who spearheads it in Sacramento puts in a lot of effort and the camps are amazing. 

• Like 1

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
On 1/25/2024 at 6:01 PM, Horton said:

@escmanaze first of all there are 2 different versions of Jr Dev camps. 

1. There are the AWSA backed camps for kids who are top of their age group. 
  2. There are locally organized camps that are generally open to any kids and may or may not get funds from the AWSA regions or areas.

If your kids are good enough to go to the AWSA organized camps then they contact you. 

For the locally organized camps, you just have to be plugged into the local clubs or organize them yourselves. It is not rocket science but it does take some effort to put one on. The mom who spearheads it in Sacramento puts in a lot of effort and the camps are amazing. 

Definitely not on the level that they would be contacting us.  So it looks like I just need to look around for some of the locally organized camps.  

I'll give that a try.  

Thanks much.  

• Like 1