Should I change my 14 year old slalom ski?

• Baller

Confession time for my first post. I’ve been using the same D3 Custom X, 67” for 14+ years (is that bad? Lol!). I absolutely love this ski, it’s awesome but even I have to admit, it is looking old. What would you do?
And if I changed it, what would be a good equivalent so that I could jump straight on and perform.

My PR is 6@52kmph, 18:25 (15off), but usually happy just running at 48kmph consistently, once I’ve dusted off the early season cobwebs that is.

I am approaching 60 sooner than I like and I am starting to experience elbow issues and other aches and strains. Have you noticed that Injuries used to come and go; now they seem to come and stay, sigh, not fair…..

Anyhoo, it means I still want to ski for as long as I can, while not pushing my luck by trying to break new records. So I’m also looking into the S line bent handle and fresh line, recommended by a fellow skier.

Any thoughts on a recommended skis is welcome.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

• Baller

Welcome to the forum @Slalom Sue Don't tell @Horton you are on a 15 year old ski you would not believe the trouble I got into admitting skiing on 1 year old ropes!!!!!!

Radar Senate seems a good bench mark to start the search and is loved by many. @Horton did a really nice video review on the  Radar vapor 2024 not long back, there are some good threads on here comparing the vapor and senate. Others with more experience can hopefully chime in with their personal preference

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Slalom Sue

You asked about skis but since you are talking about "elbow issues and other aches and strain" I have to ask how old is your rope? If you are skiing on an old rope I would get a new one immediately. 

As for your ski, that old D3 is a good design. I think the Custom X might have been a heavy-core ski. What that means is that you have to use more strength to go from ball to ball. There is a "feeling" to D3 skis so if you love your Custom X & do not feel adventurous you might want to demo a more current D3. 

If you do feel adventurous there is a whole new batch of very good skis that are just slightly wider and more stable than a super high-end slalom ski.  Radar Senate, Connelly Carbon V, KD Krypton & HO Sabre are all very good examples of skis in this category. These skis would all be easier on your joints. 

If you are able demo and make sure you feel comfortable in your new ski before you buy it. Also DO NOT upgrade your ski and binding at the same time. When you try or buy a new ski you must use your old bindings.

• Like 5

• Baller
9 hours ago, Slalom Sue said:

Confession time for my first post. I’ve been using the same D3 Custom X, 67” for 14+ years (is that bad? Lol!). I absolutely love this ski, it’s awesome but even I have to admit, it is looking old. What would you do?
And if I changed it, what would be a good equivalent so that I could jump straight on and perform.

My PR is 6@52kmph, 18:25 (15off), but usually happy just running at 48kmph consistently, once I’ve dusted off the early season cobwebs that is.

I am approaching 60 sooner than I like and I am starting to experience elbow issues and other aches and strains. Have you noticed that Injuries used to come and go; now they seem to come and stay, sigh, not fair…..

Anyhoo, it means I still want to ski for as long as I can, while not pushing my luck by trying to break new records. So I’m also looking into the S line bent handle and fresh line, recommended by a fellow skier.

Any thoughts on a recommended skis is welcome.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance.

Definitely get a new rope, if you liked the x5, get an Ion 👍

• Like 1

• Baller

Thank you @Horton, and @101driver that’s really good advice and guidance on other skis. I really appreciate it too. Very interesting about my current D3 and the extra strength required ball to ball, I didn’t know that. I do like the idea of a slightly wider and stable ski. Great tip about using my current binding for a demo, that’s a fantastic tip.

I made the mistake back in the early 90’s buying the top ski which was way beyond my abilities.

Unfortunately last season, I discovered recently that I was using an old rope; my skipper confessed when he heard about my injury. So that may well be a factor. I’m definitely on the case now and a new rope. Thank you @Dragotoo for your comment on this. Absolutely noted. 🙏

Thank you again, so much.

@Horton Oh the advice that the suggested skis would also be easier on my joints is music to my ears and critical to my decision. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this insight. 👍😊

• Like 1

• Baller

@Slalom Sue they already gave you a great list of skis. The only thing to add is that you should generally replace your rope every year. It’s like the impeller in the boat’s water pump, it’s not worth saving a few bucks on an impeller or a rope to get more use out of it. Similarly, if your handle has wear, fraying, etc., get a new one at the same time. 

• Like 2

• Baller

My 60 year old wife finally broke down and upgraded her 30 year old ski last year!  The impetus was watching how easily our daughter would pop up on her new ski with each deepwater start.  She went with a Carbon V and couldn't be happier.  Much lighter, slightly wider and turns more easily than her old ski.  A major upgrade!

• Like 4