Current camera/tool setup

• Baller

Hi, anyone can share video of their actual camera setup. Ideally, something that is still available as of today for the mount and camera.... I don't want to go down the guessing game since it can get pretty expensive and disappointing fast...

Thanx

Mart 

• Baller

Effective and low cost.  takes about 15 minutes to make, if you buy a cheap camera holder from amazon instead of homebuild I did here.  the PVC i just matched to the size of my pylon. the top cap has a bit of foam to stuffed in there to suck up some vibrations.  and I used a few pieces of Tuck tape on the inside to tighten the clearance from the PVC to the pylon. It's easy on and off the pylon, which means shortening the rope is hassle free. Don't want it on the pylon? just pull it up and toss it to the side.

71660357811__0FF23B5C-AD4C-472A-B3A5-E698DB6D0598.HEIC.jpeg

• Like 1

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

@Mart Easiest and excellent solution is get a Ski-Doc Orbit, use your phone with a holder like this, and record using the PylonCam Pro app.

@ColeGiacopuzzi - Are you using PylonCam Pro? What model iPhone? I ask just cause you're getting more shake than you should. Unless it's a 14 Pro or 15 Pro, I'm guessing that's the rear camera? You'll get much better stability using the selfie camera.

Edited by Slalom.Steve

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

@ColeGiacopuzzi Ah cool, I think you'll be quite happy with it! I've gotten several reports now that with the 14 Pro and 15 Pro, you actually can use the main rear camera (and possibly that it's now inverse and the selfie camera is the shaky one lol), so try both before deciding.

Edited by Slalom.Steve
  • Like 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, ColeGiacopuzzi said:

IMG_3311.mov 40.52 MB · 14 downloads

@Mart Do you mean camera setup from the boat? I just started using and love the Ski-doc orbital and just use my iPhone. If that's what you mean I can share some video for sure. Very much worth it! My wakeye was worn out and was never this steady to begin with. 

Nice pass. I may be demanding but isnt it a bit shaky?

27 minutes ago, Slalom.Steve said:

@Mart Easiest and excellent solution is get a Ski-Doc Orbit, use your phone with a holder like this, and record using the PylonCam Pro app.

@ColeGiacopuzzi - Are you using PylonCam Pro? What model iPhone? I ask just cause you're getting more shake than you should. Unless it's a 14 Pro or 15 Pro, I'm guessing that's the rear camera? You'll get much better stability using the selfie camera.

Android user here :(

• Baller
18 hours ago, rayn said:

Anybody try insta360?  Seems like you could mount to windshield and it would track you in software?

Sound promising if it has good stabilization ummm...

• Baller

Can anyone comment on whether the Ski Doc smartphone mount is a tight fit? The Ski Doc site says it can accommodate a 3.15" max width phone, but with my case, I measure about 3.25"-3.3" (I guess I should have used my calipers). Any other suggestions if the Ski Doc option is too tight? Thanks.

• Baller

My iPhone 14 Pro Max with a thin leather case fits in the skidoc phone mount. If I had a thicker, otter box style case I don’t know if it would fit.

• Baller_

@Jsh809 - Thanks! Have you tried the Main Rear camera? For most phones, Selfie is better, but people with specifically the 14 Pro or 15 Pro have been reporting the Rear camera is actually really stable now (and maybe even more stable than the selfie camera).

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

@Mart

@ColeGiacopuzzi Nice Skiing . . . show us a pass with zoom 2.0 on iPhone 14 Pro main camera and Pylon Pro.  You have answered the question for the best setup for pylon slalom videos.   The GoPro options can't provide the realistic cinematic perspective your setup. 

Edited by swbca

• Baller
On 5/24/2024 at 8:58 AM, BlueSki said:

Can anyone comment on whether the Ski Doc smartphone mount is a tight fit? The Ski Doc site says it can accommodate a 3.15" max width phone, but with my case, I measure about 3.25"-3.3" (I guess I should have used my calipers). Any other suggestions if the Ski Doc option is too tight? Thanks.

You can, you can order it with or without the camera mount. That way you can choose whatever tripod mounted cell phone holder you want.

We use our ski doc orbit all the time…. it’s awesome. iPhone 15th, had a 12 pro previously. 

• Baller

@APB thank you, I was also thinking of taking a file to the mount and fittting it to the phone, but to your point, there are other mounts available. I guess that I should do some digging.