Travelling international with ski gear

• Baller

Hi Guys,

Looking at doing a trip to the Thayang ski resort in Thailand in the next few months. First of all has anyone been there and how did you find it? The next question is about travelling international with ski gear. Will be travelling from Perth Australia. Was thinking about getting one of these radar bags https://radarskis.com/products/radar-team-padded-slalom-wheelie-bag

will this be suitable to travel with a ski and gear? Also have no idea how it works with checking in oversize baggage if it’s something that must be organised beforehand or whatever. Any info on either subject appreciated! Cheers

• Baller

I'm a BIG Radar guy, but if I'm travelling by plane, it has to be a hard plastic shell case. Here's a link to sport tube which I'm going to guess you will have the most recommendations in this thread for. I love mine, can fit two full slaloms with bindings plus other gear. 

https://www.sportube.com/Series-3-Water-Ski-Case-p/31brdez-waski.htm

There's a video today going around of airline attendants throwing around soft padded golf bags and it wasn't pretty.

I always throw an airtag in my hard case as well to track it's location.

All the best!

• Like 2

• Baller

I have the same Radar bag and have travelled from UK to Spain many times with it without problems.  I have the ski in one of the Radar neoprene socks and then wrap it in bubble wrap.  You can then pack out the bag with crash vest, towels, rope etc.

The other option is a Sportube, of course.  My only issue with them is because of the way they open, what happens if they get opened up by security/customs?  Will they repack it properly?  Lots of people use them without problems, though

• Baller

First of all, look forward to your trip at Thayangski! I was there for 1.5 months this winter for coaching (I was still injured) and loved every minute of my stay. Francois and his staff are top class.

For travel, my current setup has been a soft padded bag like the one you are thinking about but my main ski sits on the hard shell by SP Skis. I have been feeling very safe with this combo. 

• Like 1

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

I have traveled for years with a Reflex case, which is similar but slightly more padded than the Radar., with 2-3 slaloms and 2 trick skis. For the 3rd slalom to fit, all bindings (Reflex and RTPs included) out. The key, as @Southside_Mike points out, it to have all tightly packed with towels, vests, etc…

• Baller
On 5/25/2024 at 4:18 PM, Luzz said:

First of all, look forward to your trip at Thayangski! I was there for 1.5 months this winter for coaching (I was still injured) and loved every minute of my stay. Francois and his staff are top class.

For travel, my current setup has been a soft padded bag like the one you are thinking about but my main ski sits on the hard shell by SP Skis. I have been feeling very safe with this combo. 

Oh that’s awesome! I’m even more keen now. Will be different having the lake to ourselves and skiing in a different country that’s for sure 👌

• Like 1

• Baller
On 5/25/2024 at 4:01 PM, Southside_Mike said:

I have the same Radar bag and have travelled from UK to Spain many times with it without problems.  I have the ski in one of the Radar neoprene socks and then wrap it in bubble wrap.  You can then pack out the bag with crash vest, towels, rope etc.

The other option is a Sportube, of course.  My only issue with them is because of the way they open, what happens if they get opened up by security/customs?  Will they repack it properly?  Lots of people use them without problems, though

I ended up getting the radar bag and it arrived today. I was a bit surprised to find it’s so “floppy” going off the pictures I thought it was more solid. Seems like it’s relying on the ski inside to make it rigid and able to pull along 🤷‍♂️