One handed “Marcus� Gate.

Horton

• Baller

I start from the middle of the wash and pull out right when the tip of my ski is at the greenies.  

• Baller

RS, Is that timing the same for all line lenghts?   Do you make any changes as you shorten the rope?

Is everyone here that uses the one handed gate RFF? 

• Baller

Dave,

I'm LFF and I usually pull out right when my ski hits the 55 meter balls no matter if it's 22,28,32,and attempted 35's.   I just switched to a different ski and I have been trying to be a little smoother with my gate speed so I have been testing out starting about 10 feet before the 55's.   I may go back to pulling out right at 55 as I really like to ski out, cast out and ski right back in with as little glide as possible.

I just recently skied with a pro and he had us going back to a traditional gate.  Aren't most of them pushing the 1 handed gate?  That is what we were doing, and having success with it.  Now he wanted us to pull out sooner than the 55s, ride flat, then turn in for the gate.  I was kind of dissapointed since the 1st set pretty much dwelled on this instead of my many 'other' issues. 

• Baller

I didn't see that many guys skiing the second day at the Big Dawg using the one hand gate.  Is that because all of them are "old" guys and are set in their ways? /vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-smile.gif

Or is this an indication that gates are like putting in golf?  Some guys will make major changes to their putting in order to get out of a slump, then end up going back after improvements that came with the change level out. 

I know someone who skis the Dig Dawg using 'new school' technique.  He says most of the skiers are still using 'old school' since that is what is ingrained from years of skiing.

Dropped a one handed gate by mistake smoked the course...??`skied at a new lake and the run up was short didn’t get my back foot in till the 55s so thought going to have to generate speed quick time... so did what came natural, pulled as far as 2 ball and dropped the hips for the turn, driver thought I skied like that normally??Tried it again … what a mess!but I didn’t find it technical just do what comes naturally as if you were turning at 2 ball... don’t understand why it should be anymore complicated than that?Since then been wondering if I should change....

• Baller

I ski a traditional gate, but was working with a W3 skier last week on her one-handed gate.  Her problem was that at 32 off, she was not getting free of the boat to drop her hips in and get the handle down in a good leverage position.  We had her pull a litle harder to get free of the boat a little, and concentrate on getting the handle down, and whammo, deep 32 and finally a full pass.  At 28 off, she was strong enough to still get leverage, but the shorter rope starting standing her up, thus late and hot at one ball.

It seems to me whether it is one or two hand, you still need to have take care of the handle position, and maintain good leverage.