Using Caliper - Zoom in Photos for Better Clarity

BuoyChaser

• Baller

TH - Can you post FULL-SIZE photos to show your measurements using the caliper on the 2007 Independent Ski Tests, want to prove the variance with my friends on different calipers http://waterskitests.com/2007/HighEnd/07FinMethods.htm

why not put a "center line" on all the fins (preferably painted rather than etched) at the centerpoint of its highest point on the radius, then can ensure  everyone is measuring at the same point for at least DEPTH...

how about from depth of tail, measuring with jaws the tail of ski to front of fin, then that takes the guesswork out of DFT discrepancies...

• Administrators
This is DFT Stem the flat. None of the factories spec this. I do not recommend anyone use this.

http://www.ballofspray.com/coppermine/albums/FinPhotos/image017.jpg

• Administrators

" why not put a "center line" on all the fins (preferably painted rather than etched) at the centerpoint of its highest point on the radius, then can ensure  everyone is measuring at the same point for at least DEPTH... "

I do not trust those kinds of lines. Depth should be the easy one. 

• Baller

yeah i kinda agree... depth is the easiest to get. the principal of a line is good but if someone cant measure the deepest part of the fin with some consticency, step away from the caliper... lol

great pics and descriptions JTH

• Baller

TH - Great pics, thank you for clarifying, now i can share these with my buddies, but all the terminology was annoying me:
   1.) DFT Stem the flat.
   2.) DFT Stem
   3.) DFT Head

The jaws measurement clarification was certainly much appreciated!!!