D3 Nomad RC

• Baller

Rode a 68" Nomad RC for the first time last night.  I tried the 2006 Nomad and liked the ski but it wasn't quite fast enough across course (lots of effort required) and didn't carry out off the second wake as well as my Goode 9500.

Set my Powershells at 30.5" (stock).  Fin 6.940 (tips) 2.512 .780 (stem).   Length and DFT were stock.  Stock depth is 2.52.  I thought that was too deep based on my experience w/ other D3 skis.

First impression:  MUCH faster than the original Nomad.  Not as stable as the original, still turns consistently on both sides but requires good technique to accomplish.  This ski will turn aggresively if you want it too.  In some cases, it will overturn - that never happended on the original Nomad.  I'll be putting a CBR fin on it tonight to smooth out the turns.  I will put a bit more length in the fin to make the off side smoother (H2osmosis says you can run the fin really long).  Ski tends to bite hard at the apex of the off side turn if you're not in solid position.  The bevels sharpen up toward the tip of the ski which explains why it bites so hard if you creep up on the front.   A surprising trait of this ski is that you can ride the tail from side to side if you find yourself there.  The Fischer would not get me across course on the tail.  Goode's will get you to the next buoy if you find yourself on the tail coming out of the turn.  This ski will do the same.   I found that surprising.

Again, the "glide" this ski has is remarkable.  The quickness and speed are "Goode"-like.  Off the 2nd wake, you just ride the ski.  If you try to initiate the edge change too soon, it will bite (again, bevel design).  You must let the ski transition under you off the second wake.  A patient skier will be rewarded and yet if you need to scramble, it will work with you.

If anyone else out there in BOS land is working with this ski, please post your thoughts/findings.

More thoughts after tonight. 

• Administrators

Ladies and Gentlemen,

That is how to review a ski! Thanks JD. That is maybe the best post since the start of BOS.

Horton
The Intergalactic Supreme BallOfSpray!

JD,

Good job on the review. So far I have heard nothing but good report from the RC users. As a former loyal D3 guy, I cant wait to try one.    

• Baller

Mark - you need to try one.  I've always liked the "feel" of Denny's skis but couldn't find one that performed close to my Goode.  I may have now.  I didn't get a chance to try the CBR fin tonight due to tournament prep and rain but hope to tomorrow.  Oh, BTW, the RC ROCKS!!! (couldn't help myself)./vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif  Guess we'll be "cell mates" in the JTH correctional facility!

• Baller

I got my 68" RC 2 weeks ago.  I am 35yrs old, 5'6" @ 200 pounds.  I typically run 50% of my 28' off passes-34 mph.  I achieved a personal best this weekend with the new RC with 2 @ 32' off. 

I rode the new 68.5" X5 down at Trophy Lakes last month.  The ski was great right off the dock.  Rock solid in the turns and behind the boat.  I had them send me the Nomad RC so I could ski it at our club lake and compare the two.  The RC is definitely faster, rides higher, and is less work to ski on.  I found it a little more tempermental in the turns; but, nothing that a little better form didn't take care of.  I alomost think that was a benefit as it forced me to concentrate a little more on my technique.  The benifits do come with a little squirliness; but, personnally I believe that it is a "no brainer" trade off. 

I have made A LOT of adjustments to the ski in that short two week period and the have all been in the right direction.  Contrary to the numbers stated in the begining of this thread, I found that the factory settings didn't work as well for me.  I too am working with H2Osmosis and another well conected and knowledgable individual for the set up I am running.  My thoughts are this is a good thing relative to the versatility and usability of the ski.

Currently I am running my front binding (HO Superfeet) at 30.125"

Fin length = 6.841"

Depth = 2.495"

DFT (Flats not stem) = 0.0760" 

I do agree with the other comments by jdarwin, especially the part on the ski's ability to allow you to scramble and catch up when you need to.  You can turn it as hard as you want and bury the edge and you aren't waiting on it, it's already ahead of you and making up width.  I am very very happy with the ski and echo the comments that the ski really rocks!!!

• Baller

Review part two:  Rode the ski again Friday w/ a CBR 106 fin set a bit longer (6.960 tips).  Maintained depth and DFT.  Just ran a 28 and 32 w/ Dawg in the boat.  He said the ski looked good but needed a bit more tip pressure at the completion of the turn.  I felt a forward movement of the bindings was in order but decided to stay at stock until I felt more comfortable on the ski.  I elected to use the ski in our two tournaments this past weekend.  Got into 38 3 out of 4 rounds (4th round was late Sunday and I was dog tired).  I had the best tournament weekend of my life.  Even when I needed to scramble, the ski stayed with me and did not put me in the drink.  It definitely rides higher in the turns than previous D3's.  It did not feel great at 28 but better at 32 and wonderful at 35.  I don't know what other fin tuning is required beyond what I've already done.  I may go back to the aluminum fin at these new numbers to see what effect it has.  Maybe JTH will send me a 116 to try (hint, hint).     Moved the bindings 1/8" forward for Sunday's tournament (Powershells allow for incremental movements).  Felt like it may have hooked up a bit better on my offside.  I will continue to move the bindings forward an 1/8th inch at a time to determine results.  H2osmosis recommends one hole forward and a bit longer fin.  I would agree with that assessment.Overall, I am impressed with the ski's performance relative to other D3's I've tried and the Goode 9500 I was on.  Anyone looking for a new ride would be well advised to try it.  jhd

• Baller

I gave up on the Fischer Yellow.  I believe the Orange version is better for my particular needs but not necessarily the best ski for me.  It is a well made ski but like all skis, has quirks that either work or don't work depending on your skill and style.   I've always liked the "feel" of D3's but never found one that performed as well as my Goode 9500.  Until today.  I believe Denny has finally created the right combination that works for me.  And D3's customer service and feedback justify the pricetag.  I don't think Fis©her is there yet.

jhd

• Baller

I haven't tried the slot fin yet.  My neighbor has one that I may try but I haven't had success with it in the past.  Currently, I'm using a 106.  The 88 is a bit too soft for 35/38.  As with all other D3's, the CBR blade works very well.

• Baller

Follow up.  Went 3/8" forward of stock w/ my Powershells and the ski did not work as well.  Ski stuck on the off-side turn and did not seem as quick.  Went back to stock - felt better - didn't bite so hard at the completion of the off-side turn and gained some quickness and stability.   Also, went back to 8 deg wing (7 deg is stock). 

In conclusion, these are the settings I found work best with this ski:

Bindings:  30.5" (stock)

Length:  6.953 (tips).  Approx. .013 longer than stock

Depth:  2.512.  Stock is 2.52

DFT:  .735 (stock)

Wing:  8 degrees

CBR 106 blade