Wiley's saved my season

Horton

• Administrators

I don’t think I had ever really center punched a ball before last night. I had 38 in the bag or so I thought right before I skied right into 5 ball. You guys know the deal, I totally ejected. Yard sale.

When I finally stopped tumbling my first thought was that my ankle did not hurt. I think that the in any binding system besides Wiley’s I would have fried my front ankle.  

I go on and on about Wiley’s bindings because I think that most of you guys are using bindings that are simply unsafe.

• Baller

.........and Wiley's ARE safe?  C'mon, John that's quite presumptuous of you!  It all depends on the type/direction of the fall.  My youngest daughter broke her leg (spiral fracture) in double Wiley's.  One foot came out and the other did not when she hit the buoy so don't lecture me on the safety of Wiley's (or any other binding for that matter).  It just doesn't hold water.

• Administrators

JD

I hear you that Wiley's are not a magic bullet, but I do not know of another binding that I feel as safe in. For what happened yesterday I am relieved that I was not using any of the binding systems I have had in the past. (SkiTec, Powershells, KD Vise, or HO Animal)

Yes there is no such think as a really safe high end binding.I will say that I think that Wiley's are safer.

I will admit that the stock bindings are not stiff enough without the extra stuff I added to that ankle area. With the Carbon bits I do not have the overalys very tight and that may be the other reason why I an walking this AM.

• Baller
Not skiing the 98 tonight?  Was curious to watch the fun!  Decided not to ski the SS.  Let Erbster try it since he did so well on the red and blue.  I need to tweak the RC some more and then jump back to the 95 to see the difference.  Was really looking forward to skiing your place last night.  Erbster leaves in next weekend for two weeks - we'll have to hook up then.

• Baller

John...had Darren Wiley build me what they call a 'pro-build' model with thicker rubber and its a bit higher. Is this what you have? I finally have my two skis showing up at the same time a 67 F1 and a 9800 tommorrow. Have a Reflex carbon plate (mono) that I put a rear toe slip on with their hardshell/silveretta release up front. Mounting the Wiley to the 98 with inserts. Get to ski the F1 today but putting my Animal up front on that with a connelly rear toe. Just FYI I'm not anywhere near your level and tore every thing there was to tear in my LLF ankle on a phantom a few years back in an Animal. It was OTF but the tip caught. You know the rest. So I guess freaky stuff happens on just about anything but it sounds like your a percentage player and think I'm going to follow my own gut on that too. The Wiley is glove like in the store and seems to have better steel with a more flexable base than the Animal. If anybody wants a 500.00 dollar Reflex system cheap for half price shoot me an email...        myskipals@comcast.net

• Baller

Wileys are nice except when you have really narrow long feet.   Plus I tend to ski a lot in cold water where the intuition liners are nice.   I skied in double Wileys for 2-3 years.  I had to modify them to get them to work well with my foot shape.  

• Baller

left foot forward. Shell size is a #8 with a 27 mondo point liner. In good ol' U.S.A. speak thats like anywhere from 9 to 10 1/2. The liner is Reflex's new one. Its moldable. A bunch of times if you want.  Oh yea would like 250 plus postage. Check out their web site. Reflexworld.com   Remi is awesome to do biz with and uses a rtp on his carbon monoplate system. He rides a 98.

The F1 was fun! Do I mount the 98!!!???

• Administrators

You guys have heard if from me a million time. I just do not think there is a safe binding out there. Until about a year ago I was Mr. HardShells. At this point I am yet to see something safer then what I am using.

The injury that happened to Darwin’s daughter is a fact of the sport and a testament that we do not have safe bindings. I bet her bindings were not even all the tight. I wave the flag for Wiley’s because I think they are the best out there and honestly they are far from perfect.  

What does tweak me is that the manufactures are all coming out with increasing dangerous bindings.  I know that at least to factories are moving in a snow board direction for future bindings.  

From RS - Wileys are nice except when you have really narrow long feet.   Plus I tend to ski a lot in cold water where the intuition liners are nice.   I skied in double Wileys for 2-3 years.  I had to modify them to get them to work well with my foot shape.  

My husband had some Wileys specailly made several eyars ago for his long, flat, narrow feet.  He loved the way they fit.  I thnk they used an XL plate with L overlays & cut out the toe. 

• Baller

I can't add anything to the rubber vs. hardshell debate...the opinion I'm forming (based on reading everyone's comments...not from experience) is that hardshells are likely to increase comfort and performance...but they will also increase the chances for injury severity, not necessarily frequency.

I can give my own review of the Wiley's setup as I switched to them this year and have been very satisfied.

I've worn them on 2 skis...'06 Evidence and '07 Monza...fit on the ski itself has been fine, though I'm not sure why they need to use 3 different types of screws.

The craftsmanship appears to be solid...espcially in comparison to Animals and Approach...I'm not bashing HO, I like the Animal setup...but I've seen quite a few overlays rip in the few short years I've been skiing.

I have always considered myself a "both feet in" guy on falls...but I'm finding that both come out on the OTF (I've only had 2 memorable ones so far this season)...I'm finding that it hasn't really mattered so far.

At first, I was a little concerned with the sizing...I'm a size 10 shoe so I guess that makes me a tweaner for Wiley's sizing...I use a M front and L rear.

I guess this might be one disadvantage to not having laces like the Animals.

It took some time...mabye 20 sets and warmer weather/water, but the front has seemed to formed to my foot where there is no cramping on stiffness even after 7 - 10 passes.

I was a little concerned at first b/c I felt a L was too big for my front and the M was real snug...but Wiley's was real cooperative in working with me on the getting the correct size.

As for the rear boot...the M was intolerable (too narrow)...switched to a L and have been fine ever since.

Anthony

• Baller

I have used a variety of rubber bindings from the stock kidder redline stuff up to my current O'brien Bio front (the original orange one)/Wiley rear. I have two injuries, a broken toe ejecting from a (front) Wiley, and a torn calf muscle from an over the front stall where my rear foot did not clear the O'brien Contact binding. I believe the safest rubber bindings I ever used were the O'brien Flip-Lock bindings designed by the LaPoint's (no longer in production though some were made available to a couple of friends of mine recently).

I believe that if you eject in a certain direction, the binding won't really matter. Your foot just cannot make the rotation/angle required for a clean exit and something has to give.

• Baller
I used Wileys for years and never had an injury. The only problem I had was a long, low volume foot. To get them to fit I had to use MD instead of LG and after my second pass my foot would start to cramp... after the third I couldnt wait for the boat to pull me up because they hurt so bad! I am now using Approach bindings. I had a slight sprain of my rear ankle in an OTF but far more comfortable than my wileys. Not saying I wouldnt use them again... just have to take shorter set, or spin at the end.

• Baller

i had the same problem with my HO animal bindings, then my HO approach bindings in regards to putting my toes to sleep after the 4the pass...i've got size 10.5" feet but my forefoot at the ball of my foot is 4.25"...

i love the feel of the new Fogmans, but the durability of the binding concerns me...

anyone found a good binding for us "wide feet guys"???

• Baller

Man, I need safety buoys! I tagged 3 ball today. Hard! And I had just lowered it that morning!

My system for hard shells worked this time. My left ankle is still sore from my early season buoy hit and repeated toe tricking tweaks (I'm rff). The rear top clip is a rubber band (racing bike innertube) and my foot pulled out of the rear. The front foot is locked in but the screws pulled out and released the boot from the ski. Hurt a lot but no injury.

I like boots with questionable durability. It's easier and cheaper to replace a boot than suffer an injury.

My boot design is still evolving. As are other boots. Cool!

Eric