9800 review

I have ridden a 9800 for 5 sets now and so far I am not happy.

I started up at stock all the way around with Fins and Bindings. The first set I could not run 28 due to breaking at the waist after hookup. 6.90 DFT 6.872 Length and 2.449 depth. Boots at 29.3/4 from back.

I checked it all out and took out some tip. It felt better on next set, the breaking at the waist feeling started to go away, but I was working like a dog to get the ski to move fast. I took some angle off my wing ( from 9 to 8) and also used a HO wing insted of the Goode wing. 

So on the next set it skis pretty well into 35, but then I keep droping into the ball on my turn right before I grab (on side, 2-4-6)  the handle and hook up. This is the same feeling I always got from my 9500 and was the reason I went to the Monza. I ran about 6 passes and when I was done I was exausted from work.

I ran this ski at the ski test and loved it, but it was on day 2 and I had been off my Monza for a few day by then. I also was on the 9700 for 2 sets before the 9800. But I never had to work a ski this hard to get it going from ball to ball. I wonder if I got a dud.

Speaking to a few heavy hitters that ride the 9800, I may try to bring my bindings back 1 hole and add some depth and go a bit shorter. That will be my plan for tonight. If this thing is not getting comfortable by mid week, I will have a brand new 9800 with HO holes that will make someone happy. 66.5 186 amp 9800.

The one thing that got me to try a 9800 from my Monza was my off side 1 ball gates are getting the best of me. The 9800 is giving me a much better 1 ball, but I dont know why. I dont have to think about angle as it just does it on its own. I have not had slack issues comming out of 1 ball, even at 38. Now If I could just inject some nitro into this thing.

Any ideas on how to make this thing speed up.        

From my limited experience with the 9800, I have found that taking away fin area speeds up the ski.

Dave miller is running 6.845 2.449 .72  7 degree wing.  Those numbers don't work for me but I bet he is heavy for his ski size and I'm light for mine.

Good luck

I moved my front boot back to 29.5 and moved the back the same. I took out some tip and had it at 6.850 with 2.449 and .690 DFT. I put the Goode wing on and back at 9.

This is the best the ski has felt so far. I was not working as hard to get the speed needed to run my 28/32/35 passes. I ran a bunch of 35s, but not as pretty as I do on my Monza. It is giving me a good one ball hook up, but I dont think it is good enough to make a change. I paln to ride it again for a few sets tommorrow, and will paly around with wing angle and maybe add some depth. If I dont see 38 comming any easier, I will have a 9800 FS for someone.     

I tried it at 8 the day before, but not with the new binding set up. I will move back to 8 tommorrow and give it a try. Scott J runs a smaller wing at 8.  

JD,

What have you tried that I have not? I am trying to find the sweetness of the 9800 that I rode at the test.

• Baller

Mark - I would wait and talk w/ Chad.  He's got the ski figured out.  He's bringing me a 66.5 to ride this weekend.  My 9500 took a hit on Dawg's platform last weekend and took a 1" slice down the bevel. 

I've never ridden a smaller Goode but he says the stiffness will more than make up for the size.  We'll see.  At 195lbs, that seems a bit small.  But I've ridden other brands of 67" and felt fine so it may work.

When I rode Mike's 67" earlier this summer, I found less tip and stock depth worked better.   The ski didn't come to life out of the ball until I was around 6.850 or shorter (jaws).   I also took the old black fin off of my 9500 and put it on the 9800.  I liked it better.  So, if you have an old stock Goode fin laying around, stick it in there and give it a go. 

jhd

Thanks JD.

I called CS yesterday and he says less tip and bindings back. I guess november was a ways back, but when I rode that 9800 it was great. But I was on all those skis and maybe my monza was already out of my memory muscels by then. I can run the 9800 deep into my ball count, but its not nearly as easy as doing it on my Monza.  

I set the depth at 2.449, lenght at 6.860 and .690 DFT.

Bindings are at 29.5 from tail.

I took 2 more sets last night and finally ran into 39 a few times. My 35s are not a problem, but I still am having issues with my 1,3,5 side at 38. It is technique on my part. I need to open up more and ski back to the handle.

The ski is becoming more comfortable to ride and the breaking after hook up is gone. I do not have any more confidance riding this ski then my Monza. I will ride into the weekend and if ball count is not going up, I will have a 9800 for someone to buy.  

I am using the goode wing, but have tried both. Maybe I will go back to my HO wing tonight.

Dawg, I think you may be on to somthing. It does feel pretty good at 28/32, maybe I just need to start skiing.

But I need a ball count soon, or I go back to my Monza.

Thanks guys,

One more question.  Is the wing change a straight swap or do I have to add length or anything to compensate for losing the anchor?

On a side note, I did a side by side video comparison between the Goode and my Sixam.  I have better body position on the Goode but I do notice that the Sixam is faster out of the ball, the Goode feels more stable though. 

My 9800 is officaly for sale. I could not get comfortable on this ski. I put 12 sets into it and it is getting me through 38, but I feel exausted when I am done. I realized that I was trying to tune the Goode to feel like my Monza. How stupid is that? I just tried to ride it for the last 2 sets and it would take me down at the ball all the time. The Goode will not carry speed like my Monza. I tried the wing at 8, big wings, small wings, 9, more depth, less depth, more tip and less tip. The ski did not change. I did notice that when I pulled the tip to 6.850, the ski would sing when you would speed up. With the stock 6.872, it would not make any noise.

Anyone need a 9800 with HO holes?