Forearm / elbow pain

ScarletArrow

• Baller

Skied 12 of the past 14 days including 1 tourney.

Area right above my right elbow on my forearm is starting to ache.

Question - is this normal?

Question - is this due to plain old fatigue from too much skiing, bad form, improper handle diameter, or something else?

I thought I saw something on Nicholls awhile back where someone got "tennis elbow" as a result of the wrong handle size.

FWIW, the ache didn't start until after the tourney Saturday where I used a different handle size.  I did have a similar "tennis elbow" injury in HS playing football.

Anthony

Patient: Doctor, doctor! I experience this excruciating pain when I raise my right hand above my head.

Doctor: Well don't raise your hand above your head.

Just a joke. If you ski all week with no pain, and you change one thing and begin to hurt, then you should probably go back to the way it was before. (Am I understanding it right, you used a new handle at the tournament and began to hurt?) Also, ARS handles can help relieve elbow pain. 

• Baller

If you skied 12 of 14 days and the only thing that hurts is your elbow, consider yourself lucky.  Actually, you should consider yourself lucky for having the opportunity to ski 12 of 14 days.  @#$%#$ wind at 8am in Michigan....

410's right, no need for an in-depth DOE here.  Don't use that handle again.  Take a bowl of Advil and sit out a few days.  Also try the forearm bands to relieve some of the stress on the tendons going to your elbows.

Same thing happened to me, couldnt get my usual size Masterline handle, so went with a 1.083. I skied with it for a couple of months and put the pain down to pulling in with my arms.Got so bad, sometimes it was hard to climb onto the platform after a set. Anyway a few guys on here told me it could be the handle. I didnt even consider it , but went back to a 1.00 and pain is easier. Four months later pain is still there some, but not as bad. I had to give up on most Back/bicep exercises in the gym as the pain was excrutiating. From what I have read, it is Golfers elbow (tendonitis), inside of elbow, versus outside for Tennis elbow.

Anyhow, dump that handle NOW, dont ski with it, otherwise you will mess yourself up for a long time , like dumb ass me !!!

Do not hang on to slack and you will not get elbow pain. When I first started hitting 35, i would hang on to that stuff and it got me no where and my elbows hurt like hell. If you cant run the pass smooth, let up and get to the end of the course and start again. If you try to ski for an extra ball it does nothing but inforce bad habits into your skiing anyway. Start the pass over and try to run it smooth. The object is to learn to run the pass easy and not fight your way through it. When you sit in the water at the end of the course, think about what just got you into trouble and fix it on the next pass. Your back and elbows will thank you and you will ski into your 90S.

• Baller

WOW...I resemble that.   I've never had elbow pain but I kept getting slack at 1 at -35 with a tail wind last Thursday.  Now I have elbow pain that I've never had before.   I skied easy today with a bunch of Ibu's.

• Baller

I normally use an ARS handle but the rubber is getting pretty beat so I took a regular handle today thinking that since my elbow is better I should be fine.  Wrong.  When the handle twists even on getting up I felt it in my elbow.   I just ordered a new ARS and will use my old beater ARS again in the meantime.

• Baller

Brenda at intow.   I looked at Accurate ARS but they only come in 3 diameters and none of them I like.

I bought my previous handles from skirope.com back when they were in business.

I run pretty smooth thru -32 but -35 I did what you said, ouch.   Buoyitis got the better of me.

I have a ARS from intow and it was a restrung Mapple to a ARS. It was 1.5 inches long at the BD in Mi a few weeks back. I have a pen and pencil in the rope now, but I think it streached again.  

• Baller

Uh oh...well, everyone talks so highly about them that I thought I would give it a shot.   Besides that I couldn't find ARS handles anywhere else in a decent diameter.   I miss the skirope.com guys.

• Baller

That sounds about right.  I bought a couple "extras" for $29 each during their closeout.   I should have bought a bunch. 

• Baller

I got the rope and ARS handle from Brenda in 2 days.   I don't know how it got here so fast by USPS.  They usually are 3 at least.   Anyway, I am extremely happy with the rope and handle.  Got a few sets on it and then measured it out.   I like the small loops for the pylon and the training loops.    Good stuff!